Rainy Day birding

Thomas Slater

After birding Biddle Park in the morning, we went out to Avila and Port SLO.
We saw the seals and Pelicans, and an odd BRANDT'S CORMORANT that needed to be rescued by Pacific Wildlife Care.  This is the 3rd bird we've had rescued in a month. My daughter is thinking about making it a career (she's 6). Those people do great work.

I looked for a Harlequin duck in the usual location by the Cal Polly pier rocks but instead found 30 Whimbrels hunkering down on the rock and one BLACK TURNSTONE that didn't seem to be too welcome.

We saw a flock of about 100+ House Finches and American Goldfinches on Melschau Rd. in Nipomo.

When the rain stops, the birds come out, that's for sure. Great day to bird. And love that we got over an inch of rain!

Pics of the VARIED THRUSH at Biddle Park in Arroyo Grande.
NUTMEG MANNIKIN in Nipomo.

Bird on,

Tom Slater

Nipomo