Re: least bittern search

marlin harms

Yesterday (Tuesday) Don Quintana & I looked for the Least Bittern at Oso Flaco Lake without any luck. As we left, two large school groups of 1st-graders came onto the bridge and would have hindered any further search, no doubt.

This morning at about 8:30 I saw the adult-type Bald Eagle near Sweet Springs Preserve in Los Osos.  It landed briefly near the top of a Sweet Springs eucalyptus between the bridge and end of the boardwalk, then went out to swoop on a group of coots several times before going to perch in the tree at the southeast corner of that cove (though not visible from the boardwalk).  The group of ~50 coots stayed packed so tightly the next half hour that there was barely room for another.

Marlin Harms
Morro Bay, CA