Early southbound Western Tanager in Atascadero on 6/28

Kevin Zimmer

Yesterday (6/28) we had a stunning male Western Tanager drop down to drink and bathe in the fountain of our pond.  I hadn't seen a Western Tanager in the yard since June 2 (after having recorded 1 or more daily for the entire month of May), so I can only assume this was a southbound bird in either post-breeding or failed breeding mode.  Over the years, I have frequently seen small numbers of presumably southbound Western Tanagers filtering back through the neighborhood in early-to-mid July, but this struck me as exceptionally early.

No southbound Selasphorus at the feeders yet, but they can't be far behind...