Red-naped Sapsucker in Atascadero

Kevin Zimmer

I photographed a female Red-naped Sapsucker in our yard this morning (Sunday, March 16) in Atascadero.  The bird was working over some toyon trunks and branches that had been previously drilled by a wintering Red-breasted Sapsucker a couple of years ago.  The Red-naped has opened up several sap wells in the toyon -- so many that I'm suspicious that it may have been hanging out for some time while I was in Africa.  I certainly hadn't seen any sign of it before then.  A nice, and unexpected addition to my yard list!  I'll send photos to Tom Edell to post.