Atascadero spring arrivals

Kevin Zimmer

Just back from 3 weeks of guiding in Tanzania, and find that spring arrived while I was gone.  Male Rufous Hummingbirds have been visiting our feeders daily since my return on Tuesday night.  This morning (Saturday, March 15), I saw my FOS Hooded and Bullock's Orioles (both males) in the yard, as well as my FOS Violet-green Swallows and a FOS male Black-headed Grosbeak.  A 3.5-mile walk around the Las Encinas loop in the hills above our house netted 6 different territorial Pacific-slope Flycatchers singing their heads off, as well as many singing Orange-crowned Warblers.  Small numbers (6–12) Cedar Waxwings have been feeding in our Scarlet Hawthorne trees the past few days, after a winter in which the species was largely MIA from our neighborhood.

In the "winter isn't completely over" department:  3 of the 4 White-throated Sparrows that have wintered in our yard were still present as of Wednesday morning (March 12).  Wintering White-throats in our yard usually hang in until very late in April to very early May.