Rose-breasted Grosbeak, White-throated Sparrow & Pine Siskins in Atascadero

Kevin Zimmer

Yesterday (10/28), after being alerted by Bill Rucci, I photographed a first-fall male Rose-breasted Grosbeak that was coming to his feeders in Atascadero. The bird was present sporadically from mid-morning into early afternoon, but I do not know if it was seen subsequently. Also present were at least 30 Pine Siskins, none of which have yet appeared at my feeders just down the road.

I did see my first White-throated Sparrow of the fall in our yard today (10/29) -- a tan-striped, rather dull looking individual -- and my first Fox Sparrow (fuliginosa type) of the fall yesterday in our yard.