south county birds

Kevin Zimmer

Yesterday (May 8) I birded Oso Flaco, Oceano Campground and Pismo Beach at the mouth of Pismo Creek.

The willows at Oso Flaco were alive with singing Wilson's and Yellow warblers (one Wilson's Warbler was carrying a mouthful of insects, seemingly to feed nestlings) and calling Swainson's Thrushes. I also heard a Yellow-breasted Chat and 1 Western Wood-Pewee. Found multiple Marsh Wrens constructing nests in the patches of reeds along the boardwalk. Relatively few waterfowl on the lake (Gadwall, Cinnamon Teal, Mallards, Ruddy Ducks), but there were 6 Red-necked Phalaropes feeding in the middle of the lake.

Oceano had very few migrants -- 1 Townsend's Warbler and 6 Western Tanagers were all I could find in a rather cursory inspection.

Pismo Creek mouth produced 1 alternate plumaged adult Bonaparte's Gull, 2 Royal Terns in with 12 Caspian Terns, 3 Brant and 50+ Whimbrels.