Black-chinned Sparrow/Cerro Alto 5/8

Maggie Smith

Hiked the Boy Scout trail at Cerro Alto early this morning to hopefully find a Black-chinned Sparrow.  I was rewarded by a spontaneously singing  bird just after I left the trail for the road that goes through the chaparral.

Also had  4 Sage Sparrows, 5 Rufous-crowned Sparrows, Violet-green Swallows and White-throated Swifts. Other birds were flying up over the ridge and disappearing.  The only birds I could ID were a dozen Western Tanagers.

I heard a MacGillivray's Warbler singing toward the end of the riparian area before the trail starts to get steep.

The Boy Scout trail starts from the lower parking area.  There's a bridge over the stream and then you go through a riparian area and climb to a spring and then out into open.  The trail is steep in parts and slippery.

Maggie Smith
Arroyo Grande
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slomaggie