long-tailed...should stick with writing things
out. Less likely to make mistakes. Thx for
confirming they're great-tailed. What an interesting subject for a PhD.

At 04:56 AM 5/6/2012, Michael T. Hanson wrote:
Those are Great-tailed Grackles (not Common
Grackle which is an eastern bird and
smaller). I have seen them at the Cloister
Ponds before. I did my PhD studying the Great-tailed Grackle.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dawn Beattie" <Dawn_Beattie@...>
To: "Rosalie Valvo" <rvalvo@...>, "Gregory Paul" <slobird@...>
Cc: slocobirding@...
Sent: Saturday, May 5, 2012 7:28:26 PM
Subject: Re: [slocobirding] Common Grackle

I heard some LT Grackles in the willows by the
Cloisters pond a week or so ago and confirmed
their identities when they showed themselves
(their tails were definitely longer than the
blackbirds). That's just across the street from Spencer's.

At 07:13 PM 5/5/2012, Rosalie Valvo wrote:

I wonder then if they're at Spencer's in MB.
I've been hearing calls more like grackles than
blackbirds, but the birds I've seen have not had
the long tails I was expecting.

Rosalie

On May 5, 2012, at 7:00 PM, Gregory Paul
<<mailto:slobird%40aol.com> slobird@... > wrote:

This morning at 11AM I was on Buckley Road
heading to a social event. The creek that
crosses the road just east of Esperanza (by the
old Drake Egg Farm) had a male Common Grackle.
Having just returned from Florida where these
birds are "common" (along with Boat-tailed
Grackles), its smaller size (than BT or GT
Grackles), tail struts and golden eye are what made me stop!

Greg Smith
Los Esteros, CA

www.flickr.com/photos/slobirdr