Moon Watch, Heavy Movement

Brad Schram

Just did 15 mins. of moon-watching through my 'scope w/32x eyepiece: 27 birds crossed the full moon disk. Rough (but generally accepted) calculation of moon as 1/347.45 of the visible sky X 108 nocturnal migrants per hr. means approx. 37,525 birds per hr. going by my vantage point, horizon to horizon, tonight. As an order of magnitude...impressive.

Warbler and thrush shapes and flight styles predominate, but flycatcher and sparrow are also occasionally implicated with imagination. Bats show as well, of course.

Brad Schram
Arroyo Grande