Yellow-breasted Chat at Pecho Road

Kevin Zimmer

After more than 45 minutes of searching, I found the Yellow-breasted Chat today at the same spot where it was previously reported by Jim Royer. It did not appear to be associated with any cohesive mixed-species (chickadees, kinglets, warblers etc) flock. In fact, I did not encounter any such flocks in the hour or so that I was there, although the flowering eucalyptus trees were pretty active with Yellow-rumped Warblers the entire time. The chat just materialized in a flowering eucalyptus directly west of the intersection of Pecho and Grove at 0926 h, and sat, semi-concealed and almost in a trance-like stupor for maybe 3 minutes before it disappeared as suddenly as it showed up. I did not hear it vocalize. I got a few photos, all of which document the bird, but none of which will find their way to the cover of any birding magazine!