lologs and ilologs

Rod Lovett

Hello Everyone,

Back in 2006 ( ISRG #29477 ) Bob Otnes (sadly no longer with us) wrote the following:

Seeing the current interest in logs and cologs, it might be that some
readers would be interested in a short (50k pdf) paper that I have written
on lologs and ilologs.

Does anyone know what lologs and ilologs are and what they are/were used for?

I'm pretty certain this is not a joke!

Best wishes,

Rod

Andreas Poschinger

Hi Rod,

I did not look into the old messages (due to time restriction...); this
may however senseful to solve the puzzle in order to know what Bob has
triggert to write this.

May Bobs sentence mean something like:

Seeing the current interest in log(arithm)s and co(-)logarithms [i.e.
logarithms of inverse numbers  1/x], it might be that some readers would
be interested in a short (50k pdf) paper that I have written on
lo(g?)logs and i(inverse?)lo(g)logs.

?

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas Poschinger

PS: I found in your literature search an article:

Author    Bob Otnes
Title    Log Log Scales - Revisited
Location    Journal of the Oughtred Society Vol. 4, No. 1, March, 1995 Pg 9

This fits quite well. So I believe my theory about the meaning of the
sentence may be valid...

Am 17.05.2022 um 21:59 schrieb Andreas Poschinger:

Hi Rod,

I did not look into the old messages (due to time restriction...); this
may however senseful to solve the puzzle in order to know what Bob has
triggert to write this.

May Bobs sentence mean something like:

Seeing the current interest in log(arithm)s and co(-)logarithms [i.e.
logarithms of inverse numbers  1/x], it might be that some readers would
be interested in a short (50k pdf) paper that I have written on
lo(g?)logs and i(inverse?)lo(g)logs.

?

Best regards

Andreas

Rod Lovett

Hi Andreas,

I think that you are correct.

I hadn't associated the "i" with inverse.

Now I would like to see some useful applications of these ideas!

Best wishes,

Rod

On 17-05-2022 21:34, Andreas Poschinger wrote:
[...]

to be honest, when flying over the paper I did not find the point in the
paper other that somehow the invention history of the inverse Loglog
scales is described. Did I miss something? Or is question simply  why we
could need inverse LogLog scales?

Best regards

Andreas

Rod Lovett

Hi Andreas,

I was merely interested in the uses for an inverse log log function.

Regards,

Rod

On 18-05-2022 11:27, Andreas Poschinger wrote:
Hi Rod,
to be honest, when flying over the paper I did not find the point in the
paper other that somehow the invention history of the inverse Loglog
scales is described. Did I miss something? Or is question simply  why we
could need inverse LogLog scales?
Best regards
Andreas

Andreas Poschinger

Hi Rod,

today I have an online meeting. I will write something together the next
days. The mean usages for me right now are:

Inverse numbers in their precise value without taking care of the
decimal point

Calculation of e^(t/T) which is the important function for many
technical problems and

Calculation of cosh / sinh / tanh if those scales are not existant.

Best regards

Andreas