Collective name for sliderules

Rod Lovett

Hello everyone,

A slide rule colleague poses the following question:

I have a question for our readers, unless of course there is already an answer, but so far I have been unable to find one!

What is the collective noun for slide rules?  I quite like a "clutch of slide rules" as they are tactile beasts, or perhaps a "scale of slide rules".  Please enlighten me if one already exists, or suggestions please, we could have some fun with this one!

I agree we could have some fun with this oneSerious or humorous, all suggestions are welcome.

A Very Happy Easter,

Rod

Edward Dean Butler

I suggest the collective noun should be  “stash.”

E Dean Butler

On Apr 5, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Rod Lovett <rod@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

A slide rule colleague poses the following question:

I have a question for our readers, unless of course there is already an answer, but so far I have been unable to find one!

What is the collective noun for slide rules?  I quite like a "clutch of slide rules" as they are tactile beasts, or perhaps a "scale of slide rules".  Please enlighten me if one already exists, or suggestions please, we could have some fun with this one!

I agree we could have some fun with this oneSerious or humorous, all suggestions are welcome.

A Very Happy Easter,

Rod

Louis Gotlib

A magnitude of slide rules
A significance of slide rules

Sent directly through the ether

On Apr 5, 2021, at 8:01 AM, Edward Dean Butler <edeanbutler@...> wrote:

I suggest the collective noun should be  “stash.”

E Dean Butler

On Apr 5, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Rod Lovett <rod@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

A slide rule colleague poses the following question:

I have a question for our readers, unless of course there is already an answer, but so far I have been unable to find one!

What is the collective noun for slide rules?  I quite like a "clutch of slide rules" as they are tactile beasts, or perhaps a "scale of slide rules".  Please enlighten me if one already exists, or suggestions please, we could have some fun with this one!

I agree we could have some fun with this oneSerious or humorous, all suggestions are welcome.

A Very Happy Easter,

Rod

Jerry McCarthy

A Logarithm of Slide Rules?

On Monday, 5 April 2021, 16:19:30 BST, Louis Gotlib <louis.gotlib@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan Williams

A redundancy.

Matthew Lecin

An obsolescence of slide rules.

{Mijjil}

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 11:29 AM Alan Williams <alanowilliams@...> wrote:
A redundancy.

M Gerstman

A cornucopia of slide rules

Alan Williams

Although, to build on Jerry's suggestion, I wonder if "a logjam" might be more appropriate.

Hubert Weikert

A stickstack ?

Trying to find a specific rule I always feel like searching a needle in a ...

Hubert

On Mon 05 Apr 2021 at 13:56, Rod Lovett <rod@lovett.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

A slide rule colleague poses the following question:

I have a question for our readers, unless of course there is already an answer, but so far I have been unable to find one!

What is the collective noun for slide rules? I quite like a "clutch of slide rules" as they are tactile beasts, or perhaps a "scale of slide rules". Please enlighten me if one already exists, or suggestions please, we could have some fun with this one!

I agree we could have some fun with this one. Serious or humorous, all suggestions are welcome.

A Very Happy Easter,

Rod

Hubert

meine

IMHO it depends on what type of slide rule user or collector you are.

Last month I visited a member of the Dutch Circle for Historical
Calculating Instruments or a chat and exchange of some things. He
mentioned that there are two types of slide rule collectors:

* those who collect to study the workings etc;

* those who collect to, ehhrr, just collect.

The latter category definately has a _pile_ of slide rules. Not meant to
be rude, but a pile can be fuzzy organized in a series of boxes, crates
and tables, including a display in the living quarters shared with The
Unaware of the Sheer Beauty of Analog Calculating Instruments.

The first one is more sophisticated, and has a _collection_ of slide
rules. Carefully layed out and administered, most of the specimen on
well presented display, climate controlled.

For all the boggers in between, searching for their Destination in the
Universe of Slide Rules, we merely have _a bunch of_ slide rules. Some
in display, some in a box, manuals lying all around, and a 20-something
set on the edge of your working desk waiting for examination attracting
dust.

In the mean time, it is appropriate to put me in the third class, as it
matches my situation best. I made a small display, have 1/4 of my desk
stacked with slide rules and an extra shelve and side table loaded (but
organized: the ones on the shelve are mostly pocket versions).

And a load of Artillery stuff that needs to be described...

Happy Easter,

Happy Collecting, Piling or just messing around ;-)

//meine

--
//meine

Andrew Davie

A “calculation” of slide rules.

On 6 Apr 2021, at 1:20 am, Jerry McCarthy via groups.io <jerry_mccarthy_uk@...> wrote:

[...]

Andreas Poschinger

Pile is good...

What about "stack of log logs" ?

Happy Easter!

Andreas

Am 05.04.2021 um 18:08 schrieb meine:

[...]

Paul Anderson

How about a table of slide rules?

On Apr 5, 2021, at 12:55 PM, Andreas Poschinger <andreas.poschinger@gmx.net> wrote:

[...]

Stefan Vorkoetter

Or make up a new word: A "calcollection" of slide rules. :-)

On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 02:24:07 +1000
"Andrew Davie" <andrew@taswegian.com> wrote:

A “calculation” of slide rules.
--
Stefan Vorkoetter
http://www.stefanv.com

Charles Quinlan

I love that one.... Why not? It describes, is unique, and covers everyone! I happen to collect, just to "collect" and preserve. I have printed out paper slide rules for grandkids and found that was best, because they really didn't want them to begin with.

When electricity fails... and computers go silent.... we will win!

"Andrew Davie" <andrew@...> wrote:

> A “calculation” of slide rules.

--
Stefan Vorkoetter
http://www.stefanv.com

Peter

My horribly cynical thought was a “cord” as in pile of firewood or kindling of slide rules, as that might be what happens to the majority ultimately. Perhaps to give it a mathematical flavour we could call that a “chord”?

Cheers
Pete

Joe Herning

After hearing "chord" I immediately thought of a "sector" of slide rules (multiple meanings intended).

- Joe

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021, 11:00 AM Peter via groups.io <peterhopp678=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

My horribly cynical thought was a “cord” as in pile of firewood or kindling of slide rules, as that might be what happens to the majority ultimately. Perhaps to give it a mathematical flavour we could call that a “chord”?

Cheers
Pete

Rod Lovett

Hello Everyone,

Just a few more to keep the pot boiling.  Apologies if I'm repeating any..

a burden of slide rules                   for those attempting to downsize
a cache of slide rules
a clutter of slide rules
a confusion of slide rules
a gallimaufry of slide rules              thank you Peter!
an embarrassment of slide rules
a horde of slide rules
an infestation of slide rules
a litter of slide rules