Re: Delamain's "Grammelogia, The Mathematical Ring"

Fred Stahl

Tom, Did you check the WorldCat for copies of Delamaine's book?

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:06 AM Tom and Lu Wetmore via Groups.Io <ttw4=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am [slowly] transcribing some of the original works pertaining to the history of the slide rule. Original works of Napier, Briggs, Gunter, Forster, Oughtred, Partridge all coming along.

But I need to find a copy of Delamain's "Grammelogia, The Mathematical Ring," to even pretend to be complete. The publication of this in 1630 set off fireworks. Delamain's treatment of Oughtred was extremely negative, at least in Oughtred's reply to it, which I do have, and which is wonderful to read. Originals of more than one edition of "Grammelogia" are I believe in Cambridge libraries. I cannot find any copies online in the usual places for antiquarian papers.

Does anyone know of any location where a copy might exist that I could use for transcription?

Thanks very much,

Tom Wetmore