Re: Russians use slide rules on Tupolev Tu-160 Bombers

Maynard Wright, P. E., W6PAP

When I was 17 years old in 1960 I flew a J3 Cub from Northern California to Eastern South Dakota.  With a 12 gallon tank, that's 3 days and 14 fuel stops.  In Rock Springs, Wyoming, I spotted a used 1942 vintage USAAF E-6B for sale in the glass case at the Fixed Base Operator and I bought it.  It's puzzling to me now that I never encountered one in ground school, such as it was, at our small airport.  My Dad started giving me stick time when I was about 10 and I don't think that he ever owned a "whiz wheel."  I did the wind triangles graphically or using trig while studying and on the exam.

I've used the wind board on the old E-6B, and a few others that I've acquired since, but not while flying.  Flying light aircraft VFR only, and with only a magnetic compass and no radio, doesn't give one much need for calculating wind triangles.

But those instruments are very clever and can be used to solve at least some triangles other than those involving crosswinds.

I have several "E6B" style instruments now.  The 1942 one is an "E-6B."   One company is currently selling them as "E6B" and there are some that are called "E6-B."  If you search the Web for such devices, you might want to search for all three options with respect to the hyphen.

Best regards,

Maynard Wright

On 11/24/21 7:57 AM, Mike Yancey wrote:
This was an interesting article (with video embedded) that came up this morning.
It does note that American students use E6Bs for fuel consumption and other calculations.

I used to fly “back in the day” and the back-side of the E6B has the most clever tool: a graphical heading calculator which allows you to draw your course and wind which will give your your desired heading to fly.

https://www.zenger.news/2021/11/22/video-ruling-the-skies-astonishment-as-russian-fighter-pilots-use-slide-rules-in-mach-2-jets/

All the best...

Mike Yancey
Dallas, Texas, USA