Re: Taking slide rule pictures

Andreas Poschinger

How do you use the scanner? I mean how do you place the slide rule and how do you take care about the cursor? How did you make the scans of the slide rule ends? If you made them by leaving the scanner open, then there was quite a work to cut the slide rule free in photoshop or GIMP, wasn't it? Let's share some best practice....

...taking care about equippment (in my case to keep the bill low...) and using lenses only which are between 30ys and about some 70ys old, which I mainly bought as pupil and student yet, put me in the amateur league, though I take care about the light and especially the shadows!-)

The pictures of the flying fishes which I shared are not "photoshoped" since in general I hate this work. One or two of them are slightly rotated (usually I rotate the paper until it fits but sometimes I do not see it by 100% on the camera screen), otherwise they are only cut to size and scaled down to low resolution. All detail photos are shot by hand without usage of a tripod and I used a 35mm lens with low minimum distance for this so that handling of the camera is simpler.

Best regards,

Andreas

Am 29.11.2021 um 07:41 schrieb Andreas Faßbender:

Hi Andreas,

I use an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo.
Talking about the picture of the Nestler Nr 0208
This is a demonstration slide rule with a length of 2100 mm.
Stitching might be possible, but a heck of a work. :o)

Kind regards,
Andreas

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 07:27 AM, Andreas Poschinger wrote:

There was seemingly a quite strong light source from the left with which the cursor glass edge produced a shadow, is it this you are worried about?

Which scanner do you use and how do you use it?

Best regards

Andreas

Am 28.11.2021 um 22:47 schrieb Andreas Faßbender:
Thank you also for the compliment.
I'm not sure I want to reveal why I'm unhappy with the lighting. I would run the risk of people only noticing this fact. But I can tell you that the effort to take this picture was very special.
--
Prof. Dr. -Ing.
Andreas Poschinger

Hochschule München