Re: Slide rule back stories

Andreas Poschinger

I am usually interested primary in the sliderule and prefer models which
are in good state but I am fine with some wear. I also have some with
names and some related to names which I maybe should present in small
notes.

I e.g. still have three sliderules which belonged to the same person and
who named all his slide rules. According to the seller a retired
policeman. All three are Rietzlayouts. A pre war, a in war and a post
war. Somehow it is interesting for how a non-engineer somehow evolved
with sliderules, preferring first a model without CI then in the middle
of war one with CI, and then after war a duplex Multirietz. I do not
like to separate those three and I do not like to keep them, so I am
happy that Michael Konshak would give them a roof which are those three
which should find there way to the US.

Most of my sliderules do not have names. Nevertheless some have an
interesting history.

I have a Pickett N3P which found its way to the communistic part of
Germany (GDR) and later to me. The first owner was a Mexican student who
gave it to the guy from whom I bought it. The guy however did not use it
(Just end of sliderules and maybe a little TrigOnSlide vs. TrigOnBody
problem to what he wrote), so that it is still in as new condition, just
used for the some 3 or 4 ys of study.  I was very excited and grateful
about this slide rule given the state and what I payed and I wrote a
thank you email telling for what I use it (the trigOnSlide and
TrigOnBody paper) and asking how it came that the seller had this slide
rule and for what he used it and I got back these email:

"Ich bin begeistert...ich persönlich habe nie damit gerechnet. Habe die
Ingenieurschule für Bergbau in Senftenberg 1977-80 besucht und dabei mit
Carlos ein Zimmer geteilt. Dieser hatte diesen Rechenschieber und war
sehr schnell damit. Nach dem Studium hat er ihn mir übereignet, da er
nicht alles nach Hause "schleppen "wollte. Bei mir lag er nun, bis Sie
ihm eine neue Verwendung gegeben haben...freut mich. Wenn man im
Internet den Namen  des Hersteller eingibt..bin ich auf den  doch sehr
hohen  NP Verkauspreis gestoßen.

Aber ich freue mich ihn nicht weggeworfen zu haben...es konnte sich
niemand vorstellen das heute noch jemand so etwas braucht...in der Zeit
der Elektronik. [....] Glück Auf aus dem Erzgebirge [...]"

Oh yes, I also somehow indicated in my thank-you email that the price
was very moderate (15 Euro...), maybe I shouldn't have done this...
...before I did not know for myself what is payed for these short
Pickett slide rules...

My oldest Faber Electro is related to my by sure deepest seller-buyer
relation, by which I know that the sliderule is from her grandfather. I
bought it also from former GDR, so this sliderule survived the war, and
the communistic era, while being in use until end of sliderule era which
took until about 1980-1985 in GDR, for some families maybe even until
reunification, as it took for the typical family to obtain a telephone.

Some of my sliderules also do not have a name but I bought them from the
previous owners, all having studied in the Engineering field, most
electrical engineering. This relates in Germany mainly to some Studios
which I however hardly can assign since I have some 3 or 4 of them, and
my Thornton P221 and A010 from the UK. I also have an old Hyperbolog in
good state from the previous owner and asked how it came that it looks
so unused. The anwer was that he hardly used it and preferred the
sliderule from school time (TrigOnSlide vs. TrigOnBody problem...)

A last sliderule also deserves to be shown. I know the sellers name and
it belonged to his father who was an Electrician. The sliderule is a
Reiss Elektro in the typical Aluminium design with an old simplex metal
runner, which has a piece of rectangular plastics with hairline clamped
in the back to read the backside scales. The problem of this
construction is, that the backside plastics part easily looses the
alignment as soon as they hit the end brackets. Seemingly the former
owner did equip the slide rule with two pins which avoid the cursor to
hit the brackets. At least I haven't seen these pins in another Reiss
yet. If somebody knows these pins: please let me know. It made sense
that they exist also at the Darmstadt duplex model with this old type
cursor. This Reiss by the way is my onliest Reiss which came in a box
rather than a leather or plastics sleeve, and it is my only aluminium
Reiss which did not have any bending problem. So a hurray on card board
boxes... Oh, and the box contains the former price: 28.30 Mark. A 1kg
bread was 0.52 Mark in GDR.

Best regards

Andreas

PS to Rod and all others from the UK: Do you still have enough toilet
paper?-)

Oh by the way if somebody collected toilet paper back in 1940ies; that
would be a good business. For a small package once sold for 30 pennies /
Pfennig you could get now 134 Euro...:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/393589778155?hash=item5ba3c766eb:g:ZucAAOSwDz5hS3jM

...hopefully prices will not go up that way in the UK...