Re: Humanity!

Bob Adams

Hi Jerry,

As you may recall I wrote a paper on the “Easy slide rule” for one of the IM meetings in which you subsequently unraveled the mysterious “Points” scale devised by a Captain A.C. Chew. I did a little research on him and presented this in the appendix of the paper

Apart from the one book titled

“The Slide Rule, Logarithms, & c....” that was published in 1915, he earlier wrote five (5) other

books:

·         The Gunners Pocket Book (1892?)

·         The Battery or Company Orderly’s Book (1896)

·         The Volunteer Attendance & Squad Book (1900)

·         The Militia and Volunteer Garrison Gunner (1905)

·         Q.F. & Heavy Gun Drills (1905)

This gentleman is probably worthy of further investigation and documentation!

Kind regards

Bob

From: sliderule@groups.io [mailto:sliderule@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry McCarthy via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, 16 June 2021 3:09 PM
To: sliderule@groups.io
Subject: Re: [sliderule] Humanity!

Curt Herzstark's autobiography (written in German, English translation available from the OS) I think ticks some of the boxes. I know it's not exactly about SRs, but close enough perhaps.

Regards, Jerry McCarthy, U.K.

On Jun 15, 2021, at 2:54 PM, Rod Lovett <Rod@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I have a fairly small collection of Slide Rule Books

By my computer at this moment there are:

Books by Peter Hopp,
    Slide Rules, Their History Models and Makers; Joint Slide Rules; Pocket Watch Slide Rules

Books by Karl Kleine, 
    The Proceedings of IM2013 and IM2017

A Book by   Kleine and Kuhn  
    Dennert & Pape  Aristo 1872 - 1978

A Book by Barnes and White, 
    Otis King Calculators

A Book Dieter von Jezierski 
    A Journey Through Three Centuries

A Book by Peter Holland 
    Rechenschieber, Slide Rules  A.W. Faber

A Book by Panagiotis Venetsianos 
    Pocketbook of the Gauge Marks

A Book by Ijzebrand Scuitema and Otto van Poelje
    The Schuitema Collection

and others scattered around elsewhere.

They are a glorious mine of information and they all have the same thing in common.  They're about slide rules!

But with one exception* they all lack the same thing.  To a great extent they lack humanity - the human side of the story.

I'm not blaming the authors. This is not their  fault.  It was never part of their brief to include it.

But a book that would appeal to the non-slide rule enthusiast; to the "general public", needs humanity.

Think about making timepieces more accurate.  Be honest! Fairly boring!  The problems with making such timepieces more accurate whilst at sea. Still fairly boring.  Insert the reasons why this is important.  Much less boring.  Insert a self-taught genius and his battle against the establishment and you have "Longitude" and a best seller.

Perhaps that is what is required to keep the slide rule flame alive and interest a new generation of collectors; to tie real people into some real life problems with their use of the slide rule.

Just a thought.

Rod

* P.S.  The one exception:  Calculating on Slide Rule and Disc "2 x 3 .... approximately 6"    by Schuitema and Van Herwijnen  which includes several written portraits of 'slide rule people' mainly from the Netherlands.  However, these portraits are not tied together into one consistent  story. And again that was never the intention.

In one of these Pg 133 the authors say "Sometimes you find a special slide rule and after studying its use and construction you discover that the person behind the object is much more interesting than the slide rule itself". 

Join sliderule@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.