Re: Humanity!

Edward Dean Butler

Do you have just the slide, or do you have the accompanying rule? Does the rule carry a maker’s name?

Maybe you have what is termed a “sliding Gunter.” Sliding Gunters date back to at least the early 18th century. I do not know if they go as far back as the late 17th century.

E Dean Butler

On Jun 16, 2021, at 12:42 AM, Michael Porter <mporter@...> wrote:

It's a littloff-topic, but I have a Gunter slide that has come down in my family from the late 18th century. Relevant in this context is that the rule originally had SR scales in the C and D positions, but these were scraped off and replaced with douoble and single girt scales with both WG and AG tick marks. Though they are not obvious in the scans (posted inthe Files section), the divider marks where a workman laid out the scales are very clear. It is pleasing to think of the workman who did this, perhaps for a particular owner, perhaps for the marine market in general.