Re: Humanity!

Michael Porter

It's a littloff-topic, but I have a Gunter slide that has come down in my family from the late 18th century. Relevant in this context is that the rule originally had SR scales in the C and D positions, but these were scraped off and replaced with douoble and single girt scales with both WG and AG tick marks. Though they are not obvious in the scans (posted inthe Files section), the divider marks where a workman laid out the scales are very clear. It is pleasing to think of the workman who did this, perhaps for a particular owner, perhaps for the marine market in general.