Re: Humanity!

Eamonn

The Bill Robinson paper on Mendell Weinbach and the development of the 4093/4083 slide rules is the best example of a human interest slide rule story that I am aware of.

Fortunately, Weinbach maintained a copy of all his correspondence with K&E and his family donated his professional papers to the University of Missouri. He also kept one of the test/prototype rules that were used to evaluate different scale layouts. The 60 page paper is based on 660 pages of material from the Weinbach archive, without which the story could not have been told. While the paper gets a bit technical in some places, I think the author did a marvelous job of presenting the human side of the story behind the development these rules.