Re: New accessibility improvements in Skype 8.0 | Skype Blogs

John Holcomb II

If they didn’t care at all, narrator and other apps wouldn’t have bv been improved apon.

From: skypeenglish@groups.io <skypeenglish@groups.io> On Behalf Of Octavian Rasnita
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:19 AM
To: skypeenglish@groups.io
Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] New accessibility improvements in Skype 8.0 | Skype Blogs

I don't put too much effort, and I don't consider them negative. I just compared 2 products, one that I like and another one that I don't like. That's all.

It wouldn't be helpful at all to contact the developers, because they care about productivity and profit, and developing a web interface is much more productive than developing a native GUI, plus that the main target is the sighted users.

--Octavian

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 10:07 AM

Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] New accessibility improvements in Skype 8.0 | Skype Blogs

100% more effort and time? Really?

How much effort and time do you put in to composing the emails you do finding every negative thing you can? that's wasted energy and effort that would have been better spent on learning something, or better yet, composing missives to the developers and entering in to civil discourse with them so you can see the improvements you'd like taking place.

On 20/11/2018 16:57, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

I'm also tired to explain you that not all the people have the same needs from the same applications, because it seems that it is hard for you to understand.

Pressing 2 keys instead of one takes 100% more effort and time, so yes, is not OK for everybody.

If something is not perfect, we should accept it as is, but we should also agree that is not perfect and don't pretend that it is perfect and we should tell only good things about it.

If you say that you are so tired, then I'd have a recommendation for you... instead of telling me to shut up, just because I don't have the same preferences as yours. Why don't you shut up instead if it is so hard for you to understand?

--Octavian

Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 12:55 AM

again, this is where your quick nav keys for web interaction come in to play. because you simply press e to enter your edit field, and you're there. then tap your space bar to go in to forms or brows mode, depending on your screenreader, then you can type away.

It really is not rocket science, and I'm really getting tired of you knit picking every single thing you can and finding every single reason you can to decry not only skype, but the tireless work both developers and end-users have done to get it where it is today. I'm sorry, but either put up, or shut up.

On 20/11/2018 07:38, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Yes, that's true. In some cases it might be faster to navigate in the web interface, but the problem I see is that the web interface is not standard, and anytime can appear something new in that interface, advertising, a link there, a button elsewhere, so we can't memorize that we need to press tab twice and then enter and then do this fast without waiting for screen reader to speak. I prefer the interfaces that never change depending on context. For sighted it is not a problem because they can see the entire window, they can see the context very fast.

--Octavian

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 9:24 PM

I don't mind the web inerface, in fact, I find myself navigating a lot faster in the web interface than the older interface but thats just me.

On 19 Nov 2018, at 9:49, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Any improvement is good, but these are small improvements while bigger issues will never be solved.

The biggest issue: Skype 8 uses a web interface.

This issue might be worked around if the scripts will turn the virtual buffer off automaticly and it will use only the PC cursor, and of course, if this way Skype will be fully accessible this way.

The best news is that for the moment Skype 7 still works. Too bad that it will probably stop working soon.

--Octavian

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 7:29 PM

Subject: [skypeenglish] New accessibility improvements in Skype 8.0 | Skype Blogs

Join skypeenglish@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.