Re: refusal of ypdating to a new version of Skype

Doug Lee

Alt+Win+numbers can be obnoxious to type frequently, especially when a keyboard has only one Alt or Windows key. Alt+numbers or Ctrl+numbers are much less challenging even in such a case because the thumb can hold down one key
but not reliably two. This is my finding anyway.

To the original concern in this subthread though: I try not to override application keystrokes that exist before I start coding stuff. Skype just bit me by suddenly attaching functionality to keys I had been using for a long
time already, and even across multiple chat programs.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 09:26:01AM -0400, Mike DeZinno wrote:
Hey Doug,
Regarding your old keystrokes verses apps stepping on you by hijacking
them with their newer upgrades:
Could a simple fix just be for you to add the windows key to the key
combos?
I only offer that because in recent years I see a number of other
adaptive software doing that;
So (alt plus a number) would become (alt win number)
I don't pretend to know a lot about scripting so I don't know if that
is or isn't an easy thing to do, just kinda throwing it out there for
consideration.
Thanks for all you have already done and for what you will be doing in
the future,
Mike, in SC

At 08:20 PM 10/9/2018, you wrote:

lol yes, I can see that. that was the very thing I was talking
about. but, to be fair, you not only had to accomodate long time
users, but new users that were just coming to the platform also, so
I really can't fault you onĀ that.
On 10/10/2018 07:55, Doug Lee wrote:

In the spirit of constructive feedback seeking, I wonder which
keystrokes? I do know that my Skype 7 scripts made Alt+numbers read
chats but that, years after I started doing that, Skype made Alt+1
through Alt+3 jump to
different screens in Skype. I can't think of any others but wonder
if I'm forgetting any.
As far as the Alt+numbers go, I had to make a difficult decision:
Change my keystrokes after years because Skype suddenly collided
with them and risk ticking off long-term users, or continue using
the keys as always and provide
alternate ways to use the new Skype commands, at the risk of ticking
off newcomers. I chose the former and pleaded with Skype, before it
belonged to Microsoft, to switch to Ctrl+numbers for the
screen-switching commands. I
lost.
On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 05:43:29AM +1030, Shaun Oliver wrote:
my only complaint with the former is I don't get enough of it.
however,
putting the subject back on topic, whenever I've used Doug's
scripts in
the past, I have never had a complaint against them, save the
fact that
towards the end of my using them, keystrokes that were already
incorperated in to Skype had been remapped and rerouted through
JAWS to
do something other than what Skype had intended for them to do.
On 10/10/2018 03:58, Mike DeZinno wrote:
Hey Doug,
I once met a man who complained about free sex;
So why am I not surprised you get complaints about free Skype
scrips!
LOL
Take care and keep the faith,
Mike, from SC
At 08:13 AM 10/9/2018, you wrote:
The part that gets me almost giggling resignedly here is that
we're
arguing over a program that costs us nothing. People sometimes
get
mad at me for saying things like, "The next version of the
Skype
scripts will no longer
support any JAWS versions older than 15.0." I do that when it
lets
me do better things in scripting than the older JAWS versions
allowed, or when older JAWS versions simply can't handle the
newest
version of the application.
But people generally have the sense to realize that I'm (1)
not
doing it to hurt people, (2) am actually doing it for a
reason, and
(3) cannot be called mean because I'm giving away for free
what I'm
doing anyway.
The only time I can remember complaining about a change to a
free
program was when Roger suddenly vanished with very little
warning.
My complaint at that time was that they gave us little warning
and
also gave us nowhere to go.
Microsoft has given us way plenty of warning and has also
given us
not one, but two places to go (Skype 8 or Skype UWP). And
despite a
small number of claims in this thread, we have absolutely
solid and
prolific proof that at
least Skype 8 works well enough with both JAWS and NVDA to be
usable. It has its quirks, but so did Skype 7. So Microsoft
gave us
the easiest feedback system for reporting them that I have
ever
seen, bar none: Open, type into a
box, press Enter, done!
Finally, if anyone wanted to complain loudly, I think it
should have
been me. My Command Line Interface for Skype, Clisk
([1][1]http://www.dlee.org/skype/clisk), is completely
unsupported
after the end of this month. That's a loss of
years of my time, at least arguably.
So why don't I yell about that one? Again, Microsoft gave
plenty of
warning, good explanations for why they are doing what they're
doing, and even delayed Skype 7's demise partly because of one
feature Clisk used, that being
the ability to redirect and record sound from Skype. I will
seriously miss Clisk, but that is no reason to cry foul.
In conclusion, I'd say this Skype update should best be
treated like
a hurricane; and that hurricane actually has a name: Cloud.
Cloud
infrastructure is why this update is happening. Skype, as I
said
before, is changing how it
communicates. It is starting to use a cloud structure. Skype 7
was
not ready for that and never will be. So Microsoft gave an
evacuation order, with several months' warning - which is
unusual
for a weather bulletin lol. But
really, in this storm, if we cling to our islands, we truly
will end
up lost at sea.
On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 07:13:12AM -0400, Joseph Machise
wrote:
well, that's the trouble with Microsoft, who are they to tell
us
what to do.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Oliver"
[2]<blindman75@...>