Re: refusal of ypdating to a new version of Skype

Mike DeZinno

Hey Doug,
Regarding your old keystrokes verses apps stepping on you by hijacking them with their newer upgrades:
Could a simple fix just be for you to add the windows key to the key combos?
I only offer that because in recent years I see a number of other adaptive software doing that;
So (alt plus a number) would become (alt win number)
I don't pretend to know a lot about scripting so I don't know if that is or isn't an easy thing to do, just kinda throwing it out there for consideration.

Thanks for all you have already done and for what you will be doing in the future,
Mike, in SC

At 08:20 PM 10/9/2018, you wrote:
lol yes, I can see that. that was the very thing I was talking about. but, to be fair, you not only had to accomodate long time users, but new users that were just coming to the platform also, so I really can't fault you on  that.

On 10/10/2018 07:55, Doug Lee wrote:
In the spirit of constructive feedback seeking, I wonder which keystrokes? I do know that my Skype 7 scripts made Alt+numbers read chats but that, years after I started doing that, Skype made Alt+1 through Alt+3 jump to
different screens in Skype. I can't think of any others but wonder if I'm forgetting any.

As far as the Alt+numbers go, I had to make a difficult decision: Change my keystrokes after years because Skype suddenly collided with them and risk ticking off long-term users, or continue using the keys as always and provide
alternate ways to use the new Skype commands, at the risk of ticking off newcomers. I chose the former and pleaded with Skype, before it belonged to Microsoft, to switch to Ctrl+numbers for the screen-switching commands. I
lost.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 05:43:29AM +1030, Shaun Oliver wrote:
    my only complaint with the former is I don't get enough of it. however,
    putting the subject back on topic, whenever I've used Doug's scripts in
    the past, I have never had a complaint against them, save the fact that
    towards the end of my using them, keystrokes that were already
    incorperated in to Skype had been remapped and rerouted through JAWS to
    do something other than what Skype had intended for them to do.

    On 10/10/2018 03:58, Mike DeZinno wrote:

    Hey Doug,
    I once met a man who complained about free sex;
    So why am I not surprised you get complaints about free Skype scrips!
    LOL
    Take care and keep the faith,
    Mike, from SC
    At 08:13 AM 10/9/2018, you wrote:

      The part that gets me almost giggling resignedly here is that we're
      arguing over a program that costs us nothing. People sometimes get
      mad at me for saying things like, "The next version of the Skype
      scripts will no longer
      support any JAWS versions older than 15.0." I do that when it lets
      me do better things in scripting than the older JAWS versions
      allowed, or when older JAWS versions simply can't handle the newest
      version of the application.
      But people generally have the sense to realize that I'm (1) not
      doing it to hurt people, (2) am actually doing it for a reason, and
      (3) cannot be called mean because I'm giving away for free what I'm
      doing anyway.
      The only time I can remember complaining about a change to a free
      program was when Roger suddenly vanished with very little warning.
      My complaint at that time was that they gave us little warning and
      also gave us nowhere to go.
      Microsoft has given us way plenty of warning and has also given us
      not one, but two places to go (Skype 8 or Skype UWP). And despite a
      small number of claims in this thread, we have absolutely solid and
      prolific proof that at
      least Skype 8 works well enough with both JAWS and NVDA to be
      usable. It has its quirks, but so did Skype 7. So Microsoft gave us
      the easiest feedback system for reporting them that I have ever
      seen, bar none: Open, type into a
      box, press Enter, done!
      Finally, if anyone wanted to complain loudly, I think it should have
      been me. My Command Line Interface for Skype, Clisk
      ([1]http://www.dlee.org/skype/clisk), is completely unsupported
      after the end of this month. That's a loss of
      years of my time, at least arguably.
      So why don't I yell about that one? Again, Microsoft gave plenty of
      warning, good explanations for why they are doing what they're
      doing, and even delayed Skype 7's demise partly because of one
      feature Clisk used, that being
      the ability to redirect and record sound from Skype. I will
      seriously miss Clisk, but that is no reason to cry foul.
      In conclusion, I'd say this Skype update should best be treated like
      a hurricane; and that hurricane actually has a name: Cloud. Cloud
      infrastructure is why this update is happening. Skype, as I said
      before, is changing how it
      communicates. It is starting to use a cloud structure. Skype 7 was
      not ready for that and never will be. So Microsoft gave an
      evacuation order, with several months' warning - which is unusual
      for a weather bulletin lol. But
      really, in this storm, if we cling to our islands, we truly will end
      up lost at sea.
      On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 07:13:12AM -0400, Joseph Machise wrote:
      well, that's the trouble with Microsoft, who are they to tell us
      what to do.
      ----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Oliver"
      [2]<blindman75@...>