How do I show fainter stars?

Magnus Larsson

Hi!

Probably a very easy thing but I can not find out: how do I show stars fainter than ca mag 8 in Skychart? I would like to be able to see down to mag 12.

Magnus

Umberto Sollecchia

Hi Magnus, to see the faintest stars you have to zoom with the mouse wheel on the open map.
Or on the bar at the top where it indicates "increase or decrease magnification"
You can also increase the number of stars by clicking on the two blue dots that indicate "more stars or fewer stars" always in the top bar.
Be careful not to insert too many stars as the identification of the one of interest becomes more problematic.
I suggest you to post your questions concerning spectroscopy on the "astronomical spectroscopy" group.
Umberto Sollecchia

Patrick Chevalley

In addition to Umberto response, the default star catalog based on Hipparcos data go only to magnitude 8-9.

Install the additional star catalog from https://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/download#additional_catalog
Then activate Tycho2 in the catalog preferences.

Patrick

Magnus Larsson

Edited

Hi!

Thanks! I found out that I did have the Tycho2, but it is not used, "substituted by Gaia". And I did not have Gaia installed. Now I have. Wow :) Now I do have stars... :) Thanks!

Magnus