Driver

Bill G

Is anyone successfully using the Advanced LX200 driver withe CdC?

When I open a VSP, then push Connect Telescope, The VSP closes immediately preventing a connection.

The only way I can use CdC is with the SciTech driver over bluetooth.

BG

Patrick Chevalley

Bill,

The only way to get support for the Advanced LX200 driver is from it's author.
CdC do not know anything about COM port or other connection to the mount.

Patrick

Bill G

Thank you Patrick,

I have not been able to contact the author. Maybe, in time, ASCOM/Alpaca, et al,  will will come up with something.

BG

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/5/22 3:11 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: skychart@groups.io
Subject: Re: [skychart] Driver

Bill,

Patrick

Joe Shuster

Bill,

Just to adjust your expectations: The ASCOM team has their hands full with supporting and enhancing the ASCOM platform. Over the 20+ years of ASCOM, the core team has stayed away from developing drivers for mounts, cameras, and other devices. The team is not scaled for the development and maintenance of ASCOM device drivers. Also, they don't have direct access to the variety of hardware that manufacturers produce. The best ASCOM drivers have been written by intensely devoted external programmers. (The Gemini and Celestron ASCOM drivers are the gold standard.)

Some manufacturers have commissioned the development of drivers for their mounts and other devices. But not enough manufacturers respect the need for a robust, vendor-supported ASCOM driver. Some ignore the topic completely -- leaving the customers without a well developed and supported forward-looking ASCOM driver.

It seems like a bad business decision at first glance. But very few consumers buy a telescope/mount based on the quality of the ASCOM drivers available. So the negative consequences of an ASCOM-blind vendor are minimal.

Joe

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 7:19 AM Bill G <izar21093@...> wrote:
Thank you Patrick,

I have not been able to contact the author. Maybe, in time, ASCOM/Alpaca, et al,  will will come up with something.

BG

Bill,

Patrick

Bill G

I understand. Thanks Joe.

BG

Date: 5/5/22 3:19 PM (GMT-05:00)

Bill,

Just to adjust your expectations: The ASCOM team has their hands full with supporting and enhancing the ASCOM platform. Over the 20+ years of ASCOM, the core team has stayed away from developing drivers for mounts, cameras, and other devices. The team is not scaled for the development and maintenance of ASCOM device drivers. Also, they don't have direct access to the variety of hardware that manufacturers produce. The best ASCOM drivers have been written by intensely devoted external programmers. (The Gemini and Celestron ASCOM drivers are the gold standard.)

Some manufacturers have commissioned the development of drivers for their mounts and other devices. But not enough manufacturers respect the need for a robust, vendor-supported ASCOM driver. Some ignore the topic completely -- leaving the customers without a well developed and supported forward-looking ASCOM driver.

It seems like a bad business decision at first glance. But very few consumers buy a telescope/mount based on the quality of the ASCOM drivers available. So the negative consequences of an ASCOM-blind vendor are minimal.

Joe

Thank you Patrick,

BG

Bill,

Patrick

N8CVW

Hello

if i may chip in,

an Ascom / Alpaca score card rating for the various mounts would be very helpful to prospective users and might inspire the mfrs to participate more 

wink*

Paul 

On May 5, 2022, at 5:34 PM, Bill G <izar21093@...> wrote:

I understand. Thanks Joe.

BG

Date: 5/5/22 3:19 PM (GMT-05:00)

Bill,

Joe

Thank you Patrick,

BG

Bill,

Patrick