Question about user-defined catalogs

Len Philpot

Using CatGen I've created a stellar catalog of 200-odd stars. These are the named stars in the iOptron AZ Mount Pro database (I use them for alignment purposes). I want to create a series of reference charts with only these stars displayed.

In CatGen I confirmed all the fields are properly configured and access the correct data. I've loaded the catalog into Setup | Catalog | Catalog (tab) and enabled it (its button is green). There were no errors during any part of the process.

However, even with my catalog enabled, if I turn off display of the regular stellar catalog I don't see my AZMP stars - Not even at the wrong location, etc. There are no visible stars at all. What am I overlooking?

Thanks!
--
Len Philpot
lphilpot01@...

Patrick Chevalley

Len,

It is difficult to help because of the so many potential problem.
Can you make a zip with all the involved files and send me the file so I can take a look.

You can also look how I do it for the Skywatcher handpad stars : https://ap-i.net/pub/skychart/catalogues/synscan.zip

Patrick

Len Philpot

Patrick,

I've uploaded a zip of the four files (header, info2, project and original source listing) to the group's files: AZMP_named_stars_CatGen_Files-Len_Philpot.zip  You'll need to correct the project path but of course you know that.  :-)

I see you made them as deep sky objects so they can be circles to simply highlight the existing stars, rather than standalone stars to replace them. That's a good idea. However, even when I set mine up the same way (unless I've missed something), mine don't display on the chart.

So am I doing something wrong in building the catalog or simply in configuring CdC to display it?

Thanks.

Len Philpot
lphilpot01@...
Sent from Thunderbird

On 2022-06-23 02:51, Patrick Chevalley wrote:
Len,

It is difficult to help because of the so many potential problem.
Can you make a zip with all the involved files and send me the file so I can take a look.

You can also look how I do it for the Skywatcher handpad stars : https://ap-i.net/pub/skychart/catalogues/synscan.zip

Patrick

Patrick Chevalley

Your Catgen process is right.
I can unzip your file anywhere, add it and enable in the Catalog setup and the red circle are show around the stars:

It also work if I rebuild with a catalog type of Stars. In this case it show only this stars if I disable Hipparcos.

Here how it look in the catalog setup:

Other question, is DSO enabled on the chart? any object filter that can prevent the display?
I tested with the version 4.2.1 and the last beta, is it possible you use an intermediate beta that has some bug?

Patrick

Len Philpot

Synscan

AZMP

I've even tried alternate colors for AZMP, but no success.

As far as I know I have no filters enabled and DSOs are displayed. If I click the "more DSOs" button until it reaches the max, I get plenty:

Where else should I look?

I'm running the latest beta, I think:

This is on Windows 11. Is there any difference between using DOS / Windows text files (0x0d0a) or unix (0x0a)? Being on Windows, it of course defaults to CRLF.

Thanks.

Patrick Chevalley

Hello,

This is probably a file permission issue.
I can reproduce what you observe if the Windows user has access to the file azmp.hdr, but read access to AZMP_named_stars.txt is refused.
Can you check the permission using the Windows explorer, right click, Properties, Security.
Or extract your zip file somewhere in Documents and click the small folder icon in the catalog setup to change the path to the catalog.
Your own catalog do not need to be installed in Program Files.

Patrick

Len Philpot

I checked the permissions and I had what should've been sufficient permissions (my account is a local admin) but... So I moved the files to %APPDATA%, gave myself full control to the 'cat' tree, rebuilt the catalog and now it works!

Thanks.

Len Philpot
lphilpot01@...
Sent from Thunderbird

On 2022-06-24 10:06, Patrick Chevalley wrote:
Hello,

This is probably a file permission issue.
I can reproduce what you observe if the Windows user has access to the file azmp.hdr, but read access to AZMP_named_stars.txt is refused.
Can you check the permission using the Windows explorer, right click, Properties, Security.
Or extract your zip file somewhere in Documents and click the small folder icon in the catalog setup to change the path to the catalog.
Your own catalog do not need to be installed in Program Files.

Patrick

Patrick Chevalley

Great!

It is generally not recommended to manipulate file in Program Files without using an installer software.
This can make very weird thing, in addition to permission issue the files can go without notification to the "Windows VirtualStore" making them available only under certain condition.

Patrick

Len Philpot

Yeah, Windows does some weird stuff. And there's always what Microsoft says has admin rights and what it can really do... Much clearer on *nix.   :-)

Len Philpot
lphilpot01@...
Sent from Thunderbird

Great!