LAKE BALA 15/16 MAY

John Button G8JMB

LAKE BALA 15/16 MAY

REMINDER
The first Shipmate meeting at Bala is due to be held on 15 /16 May

Good sailing

John Button

David Astley

Cheers John, Rach & I will be sailing Rainbow.

On 28 April 2021 at 09:33 "John Button G8JMB via groups.io" <hornpipe112@...> wrote:

LAKE BALA 15/16 MAY

REMINDER
The first Shipmate meeting at Bala is due to be held on 15 /16 May

Good sailing

John Button

David Astley

Hi Shipmates,

We plan on launching at Bala Friday evening . Looking forward to the meeting and sailing on Bala again.

Preparing Rainbow this weekend , she has a small crack on the hull & some gel coat repair. Been waiting

for the warm weather so the repairs will cure well.

Best Regards

Dave & Rach Astley.

Oliver Shaw

Good luck,  and enjoy the Rally.

Regret that I am out of action;  quite apart from it being a weekend,  and so clashes with my church commitments (I am Organist and Choirmaster),  I have very major car problems.

It appears to be either blown head gasket or cracked head.   That is the sort of repair that I used to take in my stride in my twenties and thirties,  but the last time I took on something of this magnitude was 40 years ago this year,  and at age 78 it is more than I feel able to take on now  -  especially as the Discovery is so complex,  and requires significant preparatory work underneath the car to gain access to rotate the crankshaft in order to line up the timing marks.   And the car is probably not worth the cost of having it repaired professionally,  especially as even if that were done there is then the completely unknown cost of getting it through MOT;   either one expense would be reasonable,  but not both.

So even though Bala is geographically the nearest rally to me I can’t get there,  and indeed because of the car problems I have not yet done anything about putting the boat back into commission for this year.

But enjoy the event!

I will try to make the occasional rally next year,  by which time I hope to have been able to replace the car.

Oliver

Phil Weston

Oliver :

Sorry we won’t see you at Bala.

Like you, being of similar vintage, I might have repaired my car myself back in the days when they were  simpler to maintain.

I just restrict myself to things like thermostats, etc these days.

Phil

Sent from Mail for Windows 10