From: sharedapexloop@groups.io <sharedapexloop@groups.io> On Behalf Of RIchard Thorne
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2021 2:57 PM
To: sharedapexloop@groups.io
Subject: [sharedapexloop] Common Mode Choke

Is a common mode choke recommended on the SAL-30.

If you use one what are you using?

Rich - N5ZC

RIchard Thorne

Thanks for the link John,

Where did you install the choke at the antenna feed point or the shack entrance, or both?

I found a better spot on my lot for the SAL-30. Last year it was close to my steel building / shack. It performed great on 80m but so-so on 160. I'm hoping the new location will improve things, not that I have many options.

I plan on doing a more permanent install like you and John, AC4CA did.

Rich - N5ZC

On 8/29/2021 3:11 PM, wa5puq wrote:
Rich,
I have tried it with and without https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-rfcc-1 and it makes no perceived difference in receive performance, but I just feel better about it. I also have tried it with and without the shield grounded at the antenna (previous to a 20 ft underground run of RG6) and that makes no performance difference either.
73 John N5CQ
Is a common mode choke recommended on the SAL-30.
If you use one what are you using?
Rich - N5ZC

Chuck Dietz

I use chokes at both ends. I think it made it quieter, but maybe that’s just wishful thinking. I know it didn’t hurt anything. Mine has been working better than ever since I rebuilt it and moved it a couple of feet higher. Unfortunately, I just got a break somewhere in the line, so I guess I’ll be burying the next feed line. I have used direct burial cable from Phat Satellite. It seems good and the price is right.

Chuck W5PR

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 4:27 PM RIchard Thorne <rthorne@...> wrote:
Thanks for the link John,

Where did you install the choke at the antenna feed point or the shack
entrance, or both?

I found a better spot on my lot for the SAL-30.  Last year it was close
to my steel building / shack.  It performed great on 80m but so-so on
160.  I'm hoping the new location will improve things, not that I have
many options.

I plan on doing a more permanent install like you and John, AC4CA did.

Rich - N5ZC

On 8/29/2021 3:11 PM, wa5puq wrote:
> Rich,
>
> I have tried it with and without https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-rfcc-1 and it makes no perceived difference in receive performance, but I just feel better about it. I also have tried it with and without the shield grounded at the antenna (previous to a 20 ft underground run of RG6) and that makes no performance difference either.
>
> 73 John N5CQ

Jay

The SAL combiner has an isolation choke built into it where the feedline comes in.  But if your in a heavy BCB area you may want to have one at the shack end as well.

Jay Terleski
Array Solutions
214 954 7140

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 3:11 PM wa5puq <jlangdon1@...> wrote:
Rich,

I have tried it with and without https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-rfcc-1 and it makes no perceived difference in receive performance, but I just feel better about it. I also have tried it with and without the shield grounded at the antenna (previous to a 20 ft underground run of RG6) and that makes no performance difference either.

73 John N5CQ

Is a common mode choke recommended on the SAL-30.

If you use one what are you using?

Rich - N5ZC

NC3Z

I use a home brew one at each end of the feedline as I wanted to ensure that the feedline did not act as a BOG. I used 4 each of these to wrap 6 or 7 turns of the coax.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/623-2631803802

--
Gary Mitchelson
NC3Z/4 Pamlico County, NC FM15

Chuck Dietz

I do the same. Here is a picture.

Chuck W5PR

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 6:45 AM NC3Z <nc3z@...> wrote:
I use a home brew one at each end of the feedline as I wanted to ensure that the feedline did not act as a BOG. I used 4 each of these to wrap 6 or 7 turns of the coax.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/623-2631803802

--
Gary Mitchelson
NC3Z/4 Pamlico County, NC FM15