Curious questions

Barbara Gallardo

Like many I have been watching these magnificent creatures from birth to flight, and Cany and Val returning to the PG&E bldg nest

Does the earth cam/pg& e cam stay on through out the year at this nesting site?

At any point is the nesting area "cleaned"?

Do either Cany or Val remain at this nesting site all year or do they go somewhere else?

I read, that Cany and Val have been using this nesting area for a few years.

I have learned so much about theses birds from the comments and education of many .

Thank you!

Tab® S2

Jennifer Robison

Hi, Barbara: I don’t know if anyone else answered your questions yet. I don’t see it, so I will weigh in. We do keep the camera on all year so that viewers can watch the pair coming and going and continuing to bond. Bonding activity picks up in mid- to late fall, particularly when it gets rainy and the late winter nesting season is around the corner. The nest provides a nice shelter.

We do not “clean” the nesting site, as the environment the birds create by nesting there is their natural environment and not any kind of bother to them. Cleaning the nest would involve disrupting the site with human activity, and we really try to minimize that so that the birds feel secure. There’s one exception, and that is if a great number of unhatched eggs (4-5 or more) are occupying the scrape and might get in the way of future layings and incubations. When that has happened, we have made sure the nesting season was well behind us and the parents were not around at the time.

As far as their travels, it seems that the mates stay nearby all year. We don’t see them on camera every day, but we do see them on rooftops of surrounding buildings. They have a very good concentration of prey in the area so there is no really big reason they would wander far from their urban territory.

We have had peregrines nesting on the PG&E building in some observed form or another since the 1980s. We built the scrapes on the north and south sides of the building in 2007-ish, and peregrines have nested on the south side in most years since! I think they like the bridge views. That’s prime SF real estate. 😊

Thank you for watching and for your interest in the birds.

Jennifer Robison

Marketing & Communications, Pacific Gas & Electric Co.

Like many I have been watching these magnificent creatures from birth to flight, and Cany and Val returning to the PG&E bldg nest

Does the earth cam/pg& e cam stay on through out the year at this nesting site?

At any point is the nesting area "cleaned"?

Do either Cany or Val remain at this nesting site all year or do they go somewhere else?

I read, that Cany and Val have been using this nesting area for a few years.

I have learned so much about theses birds from the comments and education of many .

Thank you!

Tab® S2

CONNIE CLARK

Thank you Jennifer so much for answering the questions, I enjoy the group so much and the process. Just wish we could keep track of the young ones.

[...]

Lavande11

Thank you Jennifer for all the helpful information. I look forward to seeing Cany and Val bond in the nest in the current and upcoming seasons! The PG&E nest seems ideal for Peregrines in an urban setting.

cedars70 .

Yes, I'm so grateful.  Thank you all, official and unofficial.