Topics

Weekly Poetry Prompts

Deborah Davitt

Hi all! We're going to be trying something a little different in the group for the next bit. In another group in which I participate, I spent about a year offering poetry prompts once a week. I'm going to pick up offering those prompts here, instead.

Prompts begin below, but read the warning label first! Here's the trick, though: Unlike a closed, password-protected forum, a poem you post to Facebook or a PUBLIC FORUM (i.e., this forum can be read by people who don't have accounts/passwords) is considered PUBLISHED by every venue out there.

So, in big, bold letters where everyone can see it:

*DO NOT POST YOUR POEMS HERE UNLESS YOU NEVER INTEND TO SELL THEM.*

Instead, maybe consider joining one of the SFPA's critique groups to get feedback on your excellent words?

Prompts! These are intended to get your brain working. You don't have to address every element. You can mix and match between prompts, too!

The only rule is that you have fun. If you sell one, I'd love to hear about it. :)

  1. Pick three words/phrases from this list to use in a poem (You may use more than three, but not two; one is right out.)
grandiloquent
escarpment
passion play
caliginous
pasteboard
ream
stratiform
formidable
transitory
caretaker

2) Respond to this image: (https://miro.medium.com/max/1200/0*B17jPOMzGD7qwDHG.jpg; from the article "https://chiawei.net/reducing-screen-tearing-and-input-lag-cc9fcea37c7a"

3) Respond to this image: (from https://www.deviantart.com/branka-artz/art/Agony-596772489; DeviantArt is being a bear about linking at the moment.)

4) Respond to this image: http://sf.co.ua/id72627 (attribution unknown, but sourced from: http://sf.co.ua/13/03/wallpaper-2698811.jpg)

5) In the spirit of Thunderdome, here is a person, a place, and a thing; make a poem from this unlikely Venn Diagram:  Chauffeur, Jotunheim, economics

Celdae (Colleen) Anderson

Thanks, Deborah. I sometimes try the Rattle poetry prompts. I like this choice. Whether I get to anything right away, I don’t know but I love the range you’ve given. 😊

Colleen

Short Fiction: A Body of Work from Black Shuck Books, UK

Editor, Alice Unbound: Beyond Wonderland, Playground of Lost Toys, Tesseracts 17

www.colleenanderson.wordpress.com

[...]

Denise Dumars

Colleen,
Is it OK to share these prompts with the members of my writing group? Some of them are members of SFPA, but others not.
Thanks,
Denise

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521 and is legally privileged.  This e-mail is the property of Denise Dumars and contains confidential and/or privileged information.  This e-mail is intended to be received and reviewed only by the individual(s) named above.  Any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this e-mail or any attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender at eerieaerie@... and delete all copies of the e-mail and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance.

[...]

I didn’t put them here. It was Deborah Davitt, so she’ll have to answer. 😊

[...]

Denise, if you'd like to share them with your writing group, I'm fine with that; just note where you got them from, and further note that they're not obligated to include, say, a call out to the original art on the ekphrasis types unless the resulting poem somehow completely replicates the original art in every brush stroke.

It would be nice if, if they sold one based on this, I could hear about it, somewhere down the line. :)