Topics

Speculative?

Akua Lezli Hope

Cotard’s Stirrup

The trap had not been meritorious centre
     of world events for long before the mute senses
     foreclosed the breath museum, pawned the teeth tchotchkes.
The map had not been territory since live bees
     last swarmed in beards to wag our chinny chins, shocking
     chests like batteries, wings expressivist tribute.
The map is not the territory, this spacesuit
     is not the naked wonderment of spacewalking,
     this vacuum-wrapped rump’s latitudes aren’t Earth’s livery.
The traps between our thighs are squealing out awfully
     like wishbones strapped to razorbacks, we portentous
     human hammipedes, we porcine kinda-centaurs.

Andy Verboom is from sub-rural Nova Scotia and lives in K’jipuktuk (Halifax). He is publisher of Insomniac Press and Collusion Books, co-founder of long con magazine, and author of six poetry chapbooks–most recently, DBL (knife fork book, 2020). More: andyverboom.com

--
Akua Lezli Hope
writing and dreaming from the ancestral land of the Onöndowa’ga:' also known as the Seneca,

F. J. Bergmann

I love "wishbones strapped to razorbacks."

F. J. Bergmann

On Oct 21, 2020, at 12:36 AM, Akua Lezli Hope <akualezli@...> wrote:

[...]

Sandra Lindow

I do not like this one. It looks to be computer generated or erasure. It is kind of speculative because it includes speculative tropes, but there is no center to it and no story. It puts me in an unpleasant place for no reason.  The overall message is nihilistic. It is not a poem that will last the test of time. I don't usually have such a negative reaction.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 12:36 AM Akua Lezli Hope <akualezli@...> wrote:
http://carouselmagazine.ca/chain1-andyverboom/

[...]

David Kopaska-Merkel

I don't think it's speculative, because it's just word salad, I think the speculative words are there because they sound cool.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 2:57 PM Sandra Lindow <lindowleaf@...> wrote:
[...]

David C. Kopaska-Merkel
1300 Kicker Rd
Tuscaloosa, AL 35404
he/him/his

Fatma-Jessica (FJ) Doucet

I tend to agree, David. It's clever but facile.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020, 8:28 PM David Kopaska-Merkel <jopnquog@...> wrote:
[...]

kennyachaffin@...

Is a cotard like a dotard?? :) :) :)

David Kopaska-Merkel

it's one who plays the dotard when talking to one.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 8:35 AM <kennyachaffin@...> wrote:
Is a cotard like a dotard?? :) :) :)

--
David C. Kopaska-Merkel
1300 Kicker Rd

Denise Dumars

Yeah, word salad, but "the breath museum" would be a great title for something.
Denise

Subject: Re: [sfpanet] Speculative?

[...]

Oh, nice. Thanks for pointing that out. Gorgeous.