Topics

moar Halloween?

F. J. Bergmann

We don't have that many poems on the SFPA Halloween page yet, and even fewer photos/art! See https://sfpoetry.com/halloween.html

My poem "Which Is Which" that won the contest Long category was written from a list of 31 prompts posted by Winter Tangerine for October 2018: http://www.wintertangerine.com/2018-wtchcraftchallenge; maybe some of you could try for Halloween poems using those prompts before it's too late!

And photos/art for others' poems are welcome.

F. J. Bergmann

David Kopaska-Merkel

This is a lot of fun. Poems you submit can have been published before in print or in phosphors. You don't have to read the poem yourself. I don't think there is a length limit: your poem can be very short or very long.

David

--
David C. Kopaska-Merkel
1300 Kicker Rd

jublke9

Is there an option to send haiga (horrorku + art as a .jpg)? I am assuming that we could only submit one piece. Would I still have to read it too?

Thanks for clarifying—
Julie BK

F. J. Bergmann

The whole point of the page is to have only audio files. However, if they are otherwise unpublished, they're eligible for next year's Rhysling (and Dwarf Stars) Awards, and you can include the text with your eligible poems.

F. J. Bergmann

On Oct 18, 2020, at 4:20 PM, jublke9 <jublke@...> wrote:

Is there an option to send haiga (horrorku + art as a .jpg)? I am assuming that we could only submit one piece. Would I still have to read it too?

Thanks for clarifying—
Julie BK

F. J. Bergmann

Julie, I think I misunderstood—you mean where the text is meant to be part of the image? Sure, I don't see why that would be a problem.

F. J. Bergmann

On Oct 18, 2020, at 8:13 PM, F. J. Bergmann <demiurge@...> wrote:

The whole point of the page is to have only audio files. However, if they are otherwise unpublished, they're eligible for next year's Rhysling (and Dwarf Stars) Awards, and you can include the text with your eligible poems.

F. J. Bergmann

On Oct 18, 2020, at 4:20 PM, jublke9 <jublke@...> wrote:

Is there an option to send haiga (horrorku + art as a .jpg)? I am assuming that we could only submit one piece. Would I still have to read it too?

Thanks for clarifying—
Julie BK

Manhattan

The instructions for the Hallowe'en contest emphasized we had to supply artwork.
In fact, it was explained, the jpeg was a must.

Well, my question is why?

My poem ["Footprints in the Snow"] does not display the image I sent -- nor was I asked for a substitute.
Other poems also have no image next to the text.

When I tried to share my poem on social media, a pumpkin was displayed next to MY poem, so I paused waiting for my own artwork to be posted.  Still waiting.

If the SFPA poets obey the instructions, but the webmaster doesn't, then cui bono?

        --   Baffled, LindaAnn
- - -
Spooky, eerie, ghostly VideoPoems on my channel -- just for you Hallowe'en hooligans
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHm1NZIlTZybLTFA44wwdfg?view_as=subscriber

--
Planet-Manhattan
Latest SFF book: "A Route Obscure and Lonely" [Wapshott Press, 2020]

F. J. Bergmann

No, poets do not have to supply artwork! The guidelines specifically state: "up to 5 audio poems and/or 5 images." Members may supply only artwork, if desired, and Lee will try to match them up with a poem. But that artwork has to be your own work (which may include work derived from public domain or CC work, if altered by you and credited as required).

What you may not do is use commercial images or others' work. Please do not send images you have found online.

There's nothing next to your poem at present. If you share the page on social media, it will probably display whatever image is highest on the page. We do not have it set up to link to only your own poem.

F. J. Bergmann

On Oct 19, 2020, at 1:09 AM, Manhattan via groups.io <savedate@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm guessing that would count as art, and you could also submit an audio file.