Topics

Cat People at ETTT

John Philip Johnson

https://eyetothetelescope.com/index.html

I LOVE the way the Cat People issue of ETTT turned out! We got so many cool poems! I just re-read it, and I LOVE every one, and I love how they harmonize together, not just voice but theme. I was lucky to get hundreds of good poems to choose from, and these 15 work together beautifully. I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

Thanks to everyone who submitted!

John Philip Johnson

Denise Dumars

It's wonderful! Thank you!
Denise

Subject: [sfpanet] Cat People at ETTT

https://eyetothetelescope.com/index.html

I LOVE the way the Cat People issue of ETTT turned out! We got so many cool poems! I just re-read it, and I LOVE every one, and I love how they harmonize together, not just voice but theme. I was lucky to get hundreds of good poems to choose from, and these 15 work together beautifully. I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

Thanks to everyone who submitted!

John Philip Johnson

Fatma-Jessica (FJ) Doucet

It's such a fantastic collection! Thanks to you and all of my fellow contributors!

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020, 3:21 PM John Philip Johnson via groups.io <johnjohnson68510=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
https://eyetothetelescope.com/index.html

I LOVE the way the Cat People issue of ETTT turned out! We got so many cool poems! I just re-read it, and I LOVE every one, and I love how they harmonize together, not just voice but theme. I was lucky to get hundreds of good poems to choose from, and these 15 work together beautifully. I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

Thanks to everyone who submitted!

John Philip Johnson

Akua Lezli Hope

John,

I loved the movie Cat People from when I was a little girl and have seen it several times since
over my lifetime. I watched the baffling sequel (with tones of child neglect, madness and abuse)
and the remake. I’ve lived with cats for over 50 years and have been honored to have met some
 soul mates along the way. So the theme has deep resonance for me.
I wrote every poem I sent just for this call.
I am so delighted and honored that you chose one to join the party! And such a fun party!
Thank you!

Akua

--
Akua Lezli Hope
writing and dreaming from the ancestral land of the Onöndowa’ga:' also known as the Seneca,

John Philip Johnson

The original Cat People is B-movie taken to high art, kind of like what we aspire to around here. Val Lewton is the director, and I encourage every person reading this to go watch some of his movies this Halloween season. The newspapers at the time called him "The Sultan of Scare" and "The Maharaja of Mayhem."  A fascinating note on their production: RKO (the studio) would give him a title and no other instructions. He would make the movie based on that. So the phrase 'Cat People' was, from the beginning,  just a prompt.
--
John Philip Johnson

Akua Lezli Hope

Whoa — a prompt! Manifested by the Maharaja of Mayhem — I dig it!

Akua

--
Akua Lezli Hope
writing and dreaming from the ancestral land of the Onöndowa’ga:' also known as the Seneca,
keepers of the Western Door, in the southern Finger Lakes region of New York State
www.akualezlihope.com

Fatma-Jessica (FJ) Doucet

That's so clever. I was thinking of the Bowie song, but I will definitely check out the movie!

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020, 12:21 AM John Philip Johnson via groups.io <johnjohnson68510=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The original Cat People is B-movie taken to high art, kind of like what we aspire to around here. Val Lewton is the director, and I encourage every person reading this to go watch some of his movies this Halloween season. The newspapers at the time called him "The Sultan of Scare" and "The Maharaja of Mayhem."  A fascinating note on their production: RKO (the studio) would give him a title and no other instructions. He would make the movie based on that. So the phrase 'Cat People' was, from the beginning,  just a prompt.
--
John Philip Johnson

David Kopaska-Merkel

I always thought the song derived from the movie.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020, 8:48 AM Fatma-Jessica (FJ) Doucet <fa.je.doucet@...> wrote:
That's so clever. I was thinking of the Bowie song, but I will definitely check out the movie!

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020, 12:21 AM John Philip Johnson via groups.io <johnjohnson68510=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The original Cat People is B-movie taken to high art, kind of like what we aspire to around here. Val Lewton is the director, and I encourage every person reading this to go watch some of his movies this Halloween season. The newspapers at the time called him "The Sultan of Scare" and "The Maharaja of Mayhem."  A fascinating note on their production: RKO (the studio) would give him a title and no other instructions. He would make the movie based on that. So the phrase 'Cat People' was, from the beginning,  just a prompt.
--
John Philip Johnson

Fatma-Jessica (FJ) Doucet

It forms a great artistic chain, as I recall that this song/movie reference also featured prominently in "Inglourious Basterds."

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020, 7:09 PM David Kopaska-Merkel <jopnquog@...> wrote:
[...]

Sandra Lindow

An excellent selection. I am impressed with both the poems and the sequence.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 8:53 PM Fatma-Jessica (FJ) Doucet <fa.je.doucet@...> wrote:
[...]

So far as I know, the song was written by David Bowie for the movie. The Paul Schrader remake, that is. The film is good but really, really sexist.
Denise