Topics

The SPECk #poll-notice


Diane Severson Mori
 

I can send the SPECk to members through the MailChimp list we already have set up for you (You should NOT sign up for the SPECk newsletter when you see advertisements for it!), if that is something people would like. It will appear monthly. So:

Would you like the SPECk sent to you via the regular MailChimp channel without having to sign up for it?

Thank you for voting. Results will be available when the poll is closed.



F. J. Bergmann
 

It duplicates the SFPA newsletter content, right? What is the point in offering it to members? It appears that the only members signing up are those who didn't read the instructions that were sent out.

F. J. Bergmann





On Jun 19, 2020, at 11:43 AM, Diane Severson Mori <divadianepoetry@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

I can send the SPECk to members through the MailChimp list we already have set up for you (You should NOT sign up for the SPECk newsletter when you see advertisements for it!), if that is something people would like. It will appear monthly. So:

Would you like the SPECk sent to you via the regular MailChimp channel without having to sign up for it?

1. Yes
2. No

Vote Now

Do not reply to this message to vote in the poll. You can vote in polls only through the group's website.


--
Diane
Groups.io moderator
SFPA membership chair


Melanie Stormm
 

The newsletter/overview format DOES offer convenience to members. It’s curated and brings the content directly to them. People like curated content, especially in a time of media overwhelm. It doesn’t hurt to give them the curated service since we’re making it anyway. 

From a marketing stand point, members joining the mailing list makes it a little more challenging for me to decipher conversions to membership, but it speaks volumes as to what our members want and what they think they already have. I say, give them what they want, it’ll enhance their feelings about membership. The resulting math isn’t so hard that it breaks my brain. 



On Jun 19, 2020, at 1:35 PM, F. J. Bergmann <demiurge@...> wrote:

It duplicates the SFPA newsletter content, right? What is the point in offering it to members? It appears that the only members signing up are those who didn't read the instructions that were sent out.

F. J. Bergmann





On Jun 19, 2020, at 11:43 AM, Diane Severson Mori <divadianepoetry@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

I can send the SPECk to members through the MailChimp list we already have set up for you (You should NOT sign up for the SPECk newsletter when you see advertisements for it!), if that is something people would like. It will appear monthly. So:

Would you like the SPECk sent to you via the regular MailChimp channel without having to sign up for it?

1. Yes
2. No

Vote Now

Do not reply to this message to vote in the poll. You can vote in polls only through the group's website.


--
Diane
Groups.io moderator
SFPA membership chair


Deborah P Kolodji
 

I think what is confusing is the "SFPA insider" label on the new SPECk newsletter as shown in the notice.

If you are a SFPA member, you might want to be an "insider" because that sounds like you are getting the inside scoop before other members.

If you are a non-SFPA member, why would you want the inside scoop on SFPA activities?  If you did, you'd join the SFPA.

What would make more sense, and I am sorry I don't have the bandwidth to volunteer for this right now, would be to have a newsletter, a speculative poet insider newsletter, which would be open to members and nonmembers alike, which is a monthly summary of spec poetry news in general...market openings, market closings, calls for anthos, contests. and special issues, as well as SFPA news (to encourage membership) and links to new SPECPo blog posts.  People would be invited to submit notices, etc. 

That type of newsletter makes sense to me.  SPECk as it is being presented to us, the members, IMO, doesn't. 

Just my thoughts...
Debbie


-----Original Message-----
From: F. J. Bergmann <demiurge@...>
To: sfpanet@groups.io Calendar <sfpanet@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Jun 19, 2020 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: [sfpanet] The SPECk #poll-notice


It duplicates the SFPA newsletter content, right? What is the point in offering it to members? It appears that the only members signing up are those who didn't read the instructions that were sent out.

F. J. Bergmann





On Jun 19, 2020, at 11:43 AM, Diane Severson Mori <divadianepoetry@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

I can send the SPECk to members through the MailChimp list we already have set up for you (You should NOT sign up for the SPECk newsletter when you see advertisements for it!), if that is something people would like. It will appear monthly. So:

Would you like the SPECk sent to you via the regular MailChimp channel without having to sign up for it?

1. Yes
2. No

Vote Now

Do not reply to this message to vote in the poll. You can vote in polls only through the group's website.


--
Diane
Groups.io moderator
SFPA membership chair


F. J. Bergmann
 

I agree.

F. J. Bergmann





On Jun 19, 2020, at 2:08 PM, Deborah P Kolodji via groups.io <dkolodji@...> wrote:

I think what is confusing is the "SFPA insider" label on the new SPECk newsletter as shown in the notice.

If you are a SFPA member, you might want to be an "insider" because that sounds like you are getting the inside scoop before other members.

If you are a non-SFPA member, why would you want the inside scoop on SFPA activities?  If you did, you'd join the SFPA.

What would make more sense, and I am sorry I don't have the bandwidth to volunteer for this right now, would be to have a newsletter, a speculative poet insider newsletter, which would be open to members and nonmembers alike, which is a monthly summary of spec poetry news in general...market openings, market closings, calls for anthos, contests. and special issues, as well as SFPA news (to encourage membership) and links to new SPECPo blog posts.  People would be invited to submit notices, etc. 

That type of newsletter makes sense to me.  SPECk as it is being presented to us, the members, IMO, doesn't. 

Just my thoughts...
Debbie


-----Original Message-----
From: F. J. Bergmann <demiurge@...>
To: sfpanet@groups.io Calendar <sfpanet@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Jun 19, 2020 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: [sfpanet] The SPECk #poll-notice


It duplicates the SFPA newsletter content, right? What is the point in offering it to members? It appears that the only members signing up are those who didn't read the instructions that were sent out.

F. J. Bergmann





On Jun 19, 2020, at 11:43 AM, Diane Severson Mori <divadianepoetry@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

I can send the SPECk to members through the MailChimp list we already have set up for you (You should NOT sign up for the SPECk newsletter when you see advertisements for it!), if that is something people would like. It will appear monthly. So:

Would you like the SPECk sent to you via the regular MailChimp channel without having to sign up for it?

1. Yes
2. No

Vote Now

Do not reply to this message to vote in the poll. You can vote in polls only through the group's website.


--
Diane
Groups.io moderator
SFPA membership chair



Gerri Leen
 

So I followed the Wordpress SPECPO as instructed in one of the "Don't sign up for SPECk" notices, and in the daily bulletin that comes to my email, saw the attached graphic.  The things listed sound amazing.  I get nothing like that in my inbox from SFPA.  Why can't I sign up for this?  Or is there something I'm not getting that I should be?  Because I don't get a newsletter, just notifications about awards, the latest Star*Line, and the monthly round up. ( Also, I've been trying to stay more connected and am confused at how many places I now have to go (here, FB, Wordpress, the website, etc). ) I have a chronic illness and it does make me check out occasionally for stretches of time, so I may just be behind but I'd still like to know why I can't sign up for the SPECk when I'm getting nothing like it now as a member?

Gerri


Sue Burke
 

What is so horrible about receiving The SPECk if you're a member? In fact, I WANT to get it even though I am a member. So I signed up. Yes, I get this email list and other things from SFPA, but I'm always distracted and a review won't hurt.

So please stop yelling at me. I know what I did and why I did it.

Sue Burke


Sandra Lindow
 

I have never gotten the newsletter either.


On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 9:31 AM Gerri Leen <Gerrileen@...> wrote:
So I followed the Wordpress SPECPO as instructed in one of the "Don't sign up for SPECk" notices, and in the daily bulletin that comes to my email, saw the attached graphic.  The things listed sound amazing.  I get nothing like that in my inbox from SFPA.  Why can't I sign up for this?  Or is there something I'm not getting that I should be?  Because I don't get a newsletter, just notifications about awards, the latest Star*Line, and the monthly round up. ( Also, I've been trying to stay more connected and am confused at how many places I now have to go (here, FB, Wordpress, the website, etc). ) I have a chronic illness and it does make me check out occasionally for stretches of time, so I may just be behind but I'd still like to know why I can't sign up for the SPECk when I'm getting nothing like it now as a member?

Gerri


F. J. Bergmann
 

By "newsletter," we're talking about the MailChimp emails and a few emails that come directly from sfpanews@.... We don't have any other system for sending you necessary information! You _must_ be signed up for our MailChimp, and you _must_ add sfpanews@... to your safe list to receive official announcements and the rest of the news.

F. J. Bergmann





On Jun 20, 2020, at 12:27 PM, Sandra Lindow <lindowleaf@...> wrote:

I have never gotten the newsletter either.

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 9:31 AM Gerri Leen <Gerrileen@...> wrote:
So I followed the Wordpress SPECPO as instructed in one of the "Don't sign up for SPECk" notices, and in the daily bulletin that comes to my email, saw the attached graphic.  The things listed sound amazing.  I get nothing like that in my inbox from SFPA.  Why can't I sign up for this?  Or is there something I'm not getting that I should be?  Because I don't get a newsletter, just notifications about awards, the latest Star*Line, and the monthly round up. ( Also, I've been trying to stay more connected and am confused at how many places I now have to go (here, FB, Wordpress, the website, etc). ) I have a chronic illness and it does make me check out occasionally for stretches of time, so I may just be behind but I'd still like to know why I can't sign up for the SPECk when I'm getting nothing like it now as a member?

Gerri




Diane Severson Mori
 

Arrgh! Not sfpanews@gmail but sfpanews@... !!

Diane


--
Diane
Groups.io moderator
SFPA membership chair


F. J. Bergmann
 

AAAAAAUUUUUGGGGH.

Like she says: sfpanews@....

F. J. Bergmann





On Jun 20, 2020, at 12:56 PM, Diane Severson Mori <divadianepoetry@...> wrote:

Arrgh! Not sfpanews@gmail but sfpanews@... !!

Diane


--
Diane
Groups.io moderator
SFPA membership chair





Wendy Van Camp
 

Personally, I would like to get both newsletters.  If the second list is mirroring information, but not all of it, I would like to be able to know when something of mine is on the other list for marketing purposes.  While I doubt this would be often, it still allows me to keep tabs on what is going on.  I would likely delete the SPECk after looking it over and keep the member newsletter.
--
Wendy Van Camp
Author - Poet - Illustrator
No Wasted Ink
http://nowastedink.com
wvancamp @ earthlink.net


Gerri Leen
 
Edited

So if I get the announcements that I do, then it appears I am getting everything that I should from SFPA. There is no actual newsletter is what I'm hearing, which makes it seem like what's being put in the new SPECk newsletter is something different than what I am seeing as a member. So why can't members subscribe?


Denise Dumars
 

Like Gerri said, I don't think I've ever gotten a newsletter per se. I do get whatever stuff comes to this group.
Denise


From: sfpanet@groups.io <sfpanet@groups.io> on behalf of Sandra Lindow <lindowleaf@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2020 10:27 AM
To: sfpanet@groups.io <sfpanet@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [sfpanet] The SPECk
 
I have never gotten the newsletter either.

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 9:31 AM Gerri Leen <Gerrileen@...> wrote:
So I followed the Wordpress SPECPO as instructed in one of the "Don't sign up for SPECk" notices, and in the daily bulletin that comes to my email, saw the attached graphic.  The things listed sound amazing.  I get nothing like that in my inbox from SFPA.  Why can't I sign up for this?  Or is there something I'm not getting that I should be?  Because I don't get a newsletter, just notifications about awards, the latest Star*Line, and the monthly round up. ( Also, I've been trying to stay more connected and am confused at how many places I now have to go (here, FB, Wordpress, the website, etc). ) I have a chronic illness and it does make me check out occasionally for stretches of time, so I may just be behind but I'd still like to know why I can't sign up for the SPECk when I'm getting nothing like it now as a member?

Gerri