Topics

usb relay board

Siegfried Jackstien

i was hijacking the thread ... sorry on that

there are two different versions available

one installs as HID

and the other installs as com port

just send commands to the comport to open and close relays

hmmm ... i have to practice a bit how to send commands from sdrangel

do not even know that this works and how this works ...(do i find any hints on the github???)

simon will support both versions in his soft ... and it would be nice if you could do the same so then the same hardware setup could be used

there is an app downloadable to switch the relays from the desktop ... i do not know if i can send commands from sdrangel to this app ... or direct to the device ... cause i do not own such a board yet i can not try it out ... but will order one soon to have some relays to switch from windoze ... then try to add those commands to sdrangel ...

i thought that also for others adding those commands would be usefull (switching rx tx ... or switching on the power to the pa or whatever)

hmmm i will order a board ... then i will see how to use it :-)

greetz

sigi dg9bfc

Am 24.02.2019 um 00:00 schrieb Edouard Griffiths:

Hello,

not sure how this relates to the original post. Anyway I am not going to support such custom hardware directly in SDRangel. SDRangel has all the bits to work with other applications that can interface with whatever hardware. Check the REST API to control SDRangel from an external application and the commands tab to invoke system commands from SDRangel GUI: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/tree/master/sdrgui#5b-commands.

XTRX in Windows depends on MSVC support that does not seem to be mature enough.

I am not too sure about how this works in Windows but anything that can be run in a cmd prompt can be interfaced I suppose.

Brgds, Edouard.

Siegfried Jackstien

there is a windows app where you can set and reset relays ... and you can direct send commads to a comport

(and there are also drivers available that you sure can implement in your soft)

so adapting that should be easy just for rx tx (send the command for the relay together with pressing and releasing space as an example)

but ... what if the soft could control the board direct and set relays for switching different bands (and their matching pa sections, outputs in lime etc etc)

for that you had to make a "bandplan" or so (user box with a table and some checkboxes) ... where a user can select what outputs to drive on what band and if it is switched on on rx or tx or both

so ... just rx tx is easy without any changes in sdrangel ... but i though about somebody building a multiband transceiver with a few pa modules (each one for one ham band) ... or switching bandpass filters or antennas or whatever

for such a case a table would be needed ... and that can not easy be solved with just sending a command

greetz

sigi dg9bfc

ps what do you think about such a board for rx tx?!? that is easy and the two relay board just costs 4 or 5 bucks

Am 24.02.2019 um 14:13 schrieb Edouard Griffiths:

Hello,

I am not too sure about how this works in Windows but anything that can be run in a cmd prompt can be interfaced I suppose.

Brgds, Edouard.

James Dallas

I believe there is also a Linux cli tool on GitHub for this.

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 12:27 PM Siegfried Jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

[...]

exactly those drivers could be used from edouard

dg9bfc sigi

Am 24.02.2019 um 18:28 schrieb James Dallas:

[...]

The only limit to the number of these relays that can be plugged in and operated at once is the number of USB ports.

so if you use a hub you can drive any number of relays ...

how cool is that??

greet sigi

dg9bfc

[...]

Here's a screenshot of the application that can be downloaded and used to control the 8 port board.

Emacs!

Am 24.02.2019 um 14:13 schrieb Edouard Griffiths:

Hello,

I am not too sure about how this works in Windows but anything that can be run in a cmd prompt can be interfaced I suppose.

as already mentioned I am not going to support interfacing with ancillary hardware to make the code just more ugly than it is already. This subject has already been debated and the proposed and implemented solution is application collaboration using REST APIs. I forgot to mention it but since v4.3.2 a "reverse API" feature was put in place that if activated can route (nearly) all change events in SDRangel to an external application using the same REST API used the other way round and PUT or POST verbs. Check the wiki page here: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/wiki/Reverse-API.

Think of it as a modern software oriented CAT interface. You wouldn't ask Yaesu or Icom to implement support for this or that GPIO board in their rigs firmware. This is a similar case here transposed to the software realm. So anything that you would like to support like PTT or filter switch-boxes has to be done through a custom DIY application that interfaces with SDRangel using its REST API.

I have indeed enough work with maintenance and trying to develop new signal processing oriented features.

Brgds, Edouard.

James Dallas

Thank you Eduoard. I believe we had a similar discussion some months ago. So I can confirm you've been firm and consistent on this point. =D

FWIW here are some random thoughts for the group that I've had along these lines (TX/RX switching and such):

(1) There is a Linux program called statserial that you can use to monitor the status of a serial line (either real or virtual). A lot of software programs for digital ham modes (WSJTX, FLDIGI, etc) allow you to control rig PTT using a serial port line. Using statserial you could monitor the status of, say, the CTS line and use changes there to trigger a curl call to the sdrangel REST API, or trigger a relay using usbrelay (as linked to in my previous e-mail). Or both. At any rate, statserial can be used to build a bridge between "old school" (pre-SDR) ham radio software and sdrangel.

Example output on my Linux VM at work (I came up with this while taking a short stress break before serving patching last week):

image.png

(2) I wasn't aware of the reverse API, but this makes a lot of sense and I'll have to play around with that. Would definitely be better than having to loop / constantly poll the API to get the PTT status.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 3:30 AM Edouard Griffiths <f4exb06@...> wrote:
[...]

Working example of point #1 using fldigi:

$ old_status=16736; while [[ 1 = 1 ]]; do status=$(sudo statserial -d /dev/ttyS0);if [[ $status != $old_status ]]; then if [[ $status = 16736 ]]; then echo OFF; else echo ON; fi; fi; old_status=$status; done

image.png