Topics

SDRAngel on Windows 10 with Hack RF not detected

Tony Steele

Morning, I am trying to get SDRangel running with a HackRF with Portapack attached, but having no joy.
The HackRF one with Portapack works perfectly in SDR# and SDRconsole (SDR radio.com) on the same PC, same OS (windows 10 1809) but with SDRangel, I cannot get it to see the HackRF one.
Is there anything specific that I need to do to make it work?, in the install folder there are two .dll files hackrf.dll and hackrfdevice.dll, but they are not shown in the sampling devices list.
The version of SDRAngel is 4.8.0 which was the only version I can find for Windows as I do not have the facility to compile it myself.

Anyone suggest anything I can try?

Loe Walter

Andre Neitzel

Had same issue before some months... read here:

check on commandline if hackrfinfo shows a serialnr then in hackrf mode. You find all details under the link.

Solution was for me to flash corrected Portapack firmware file

regards Andre

<tonyg1hmo@...> schrieb am Sa. 3. Okt. 2020 um 09:14:

Morning, I am trying to get SDRangel running with a HackRF with Portapack attached, but having no joy.
The HackRF one with Portapack works perfectly in SDR# and SDRconsole (SDR radio.com) on the same PC, same OS (windows 10 1809) but with SDRangel, I cannot get it to see the HackRF one.
Is there anything specific that I need to do to make it work?, in the install folder there are two .dll files hackrf.dll and hackrfdevice.dll, but they are not shown in the sampling devices list.
The version of SDRAngel is 4.8.0 which was the only version I can find for Windows as I do not have the facility to compile it myself.

Anyone suggest anything I can try?

Tony Steele

Loe,

Apologies that is the version I am using 4.18.0  for some reason the keyboard I am typing on didn't catch the '1' key when I pressed it, (perhaps the coffee I spilled over the desk yesterday went into the 1 key).

Andre,

Sorry the thread you linked to doesn't really help, although I get the gist of it, I am not using 'havoc' firmware in my Portapack.
Can you elaborate what you mean by 'check on commandline if hackrfinfo shows a serialnr then in hackrf mode' you mean in Windows cmd, what do I need to type?
All I can see about hackrfinfo relates to Linux which I do not have here.

Tony Steele

Just spun up a VM running Linux Mint, this is the output I get from hackrfinfo.

Andre Neitzel

Hi Tony,

think about flash your portpack to "havoc" or what i suggest = try MAYHEM firmware. It has lot of features and solving some bugs of original portapack firmware.
You can flash it for testing, if not happy - flash back to original portapack.

The bug we found was a issue with serial identifier of portapack (and included hackrf firmware). If you check it with "hackrf_info" from commandine (this command is available
in HackRF tools under Windows and Linux also, you will see that value for serial is not as expected. This was solved in Mayhem firmware.

Flash your portapack to Mayhem firmware, start hackRF mode and test...

regards Andre

Am Sa., 3. Okt. 2020 um 10:52 Uhr schrieb <tonyg1hmo@...>:

Loe,

Apologies that is the version I am using 4.18.0  for some reason the keyboard I am typing on didn't catch the '1' key when I pressed it, (perhaps the coffee I spilled over the desk yesterday went into the 1 key).

Andre,

Sorry the thread you linked to doesn't really help, although I get the gist of it, I am not using 'havoc' firmware in my Portapack.
Can you elaborate what you mean by 'check on commandline if hackrfinfo shows a serialnr then in hackrf mode' you mean in Windows cmd, what do I need to type?
All I can see about hackrfinfo relates to Linux which I do not have here.

Tony Steele

Hi Andre

The Mayhem v1.2.3 firmware is what my portapack was running already, but I have just flashed it again in case there was a corruption in it..
The screenshot I posted above is from my portapack runnig the Mayhem 1.2.3 firmware, the serial number is clearly visible.
Aftre flashing it again, the output from hacrfinfo is exactly the same as above.

I have tried to get SDRAngel to see the HackRF one after flashing the Mayhem 1.2.3 firmware again, but still no go i'm afriad, the HackRF one is not seen but it works fine in sdr# and SDRConsole.

Regards
Tony

Tony Steele

Edited

A further update on the issue I have, I've just found a copy of SDRAngel version 4.0.0, downloadd that version, unzipped it, run the .exe and that version see's the HackRF one and works perfectly
So I am at a loss as to why the version 4.18.0 does not see the HackRF?

Andre Neitzel

Tested it with Win10 and my HackRF/Portpack Mayhem 1.2 firmware and official SDRangel download from GIT
works like charm...

If another version also works fine for you, i guess you had a issue with SDRangel install. Dont forget to enable HackRF on mayhem before opens SDRangel.
Sometimes SOAPY and native HACKrf support can make problems, you can try to delete SOAPY plugin maybe.

regards André

Am So., 4. Okt. 2020 um 11:32 Uhr schrieb <tonyg1hmo@...>:

[Edited Message Follows]

A further update on the issue I hame, I've just found a copy of SDRAngel version 4.0.0, downloadd that version, unzipped it, run the .exe and that version see's the HackRF one and works perfectly
So I am at a loss as to why the version 4.18.0 does not see the HackRF?

Tony Steele

Hi Andre,

A further update, I tried again this time on a brand new Lenovo T490 Laptop which had not had anything installed onto it.
I downloaded SDRangel from the link above, installed it, connected the HackRF one, switched to HackRF mode and Windows detected it and installed a driver automatically.
I then ran SDRAngel, which ran, I then was able to select 'HackRF One' from the R0 receiver type.
However, this time, when I add a demodulator, NFM, AM, WFM, the SDRangel app freezes and I have to restart it, I do see the waterfall scrolling however before it freezes so this is progress I feel.

Why it will not see the HackRF on my main Desktop PC running Windows 10 is still a mysteryt, I don't really have the time to pursue it at the moment, so I will carry on using SDRConsole on the desktop PC.