Topics

Sdrangel on Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.5 #osx #install

Fabio IZ0IBA 2220156

Hi, i compiled the latest sdrangel source code on Catalina 10.15.5 using Qt Creator with all plugins enabled.
It works either in rx than in tx using HackRF and LimeSdr Mini.
The new source code structure is changed a bit for what regards the OSX deployment stage.
After the compilation a build directory has been created  in my home directory
build-sdrangel-Desktop_Qt_5_13_2_clang_64bit-Debug
and inside there is the sdrangel binary to be launched.
In mac osx however it this necessary to deploy the binary and the related library files in the sdrangel.app container.

In the previous releases there was a deploy.sh script that was building the app but in the new source this is changed using Cpack system.
In the build directory has been generated the CPackConfig.cmake

Question is how to use it .... i launched  Cpack command in the build directory and a dmg file has been generated

sdrangel-4.14.8-2-g213d5ed82_10.15.4_x86_64.dmg

However installing this dmg into the /Application folder the application crash at start.
Launching from build directory it instead works fine.
So, how to deploy in the right way ?

Tnx, Fabio.

Žiga S.

Hello Fabio,

To be honest, I have had the same problem and I am just executing from terminal directly, it works yeah ...

As I recall checking cmake scripts for cpack osx module, it was everything correct but no proper output (only ELFbin).
I would guess something with Catalina, while there was some MacPorts distribution and is also dead for this osx version:
https://ports.macports.org/port/SDRangel/builds
Catalina did quite a dramatic change regarding osx system & security hardening, not to mention kernel modules...

I wanted also as a failback use the deploy.sh ... but I could not get proper output from cmake or qt/qt-deploy build....
With some patience, I am waiting for updated Qt SDK or cmake, to have better catalina support???

Could you maybe share your build env versions(cmake/Qt), just to compare for myself?
10X
Maybe I am totally wrong and I just need to spend one more day for a breakthrough. :)

So, what do you say we find a way to deploy on Catalina... perfect would be DMG?

Cheerz,
Ziga

Žiga S.

To debug your first approach with DMG,
you could run your /Application ..... .app/Contents/MacOS/sdrangel from Terminal....
There you could se your log, if it was compiled that way..

Otherwise
otool -L  /Application ..... .app/Contents/MacOS/sdrangel
will get you info about linker errors.

I think you can check that too :)

Cheerz, Z

Fabio IZ0IBA 2220156

I Ziga, i solved the issue.  The sdrangel source code works well if on osx every dependency has been installed via MacPort.
In my case i was having a Qt software and related Qt Creator environment downloaded in my home directory.  So during the configuration phase cmake defined a building tree that
after the cpack installation step resulted in some paths unknown from the Applications directory.
May be the configuration script have to be modified because it does not work well if dependencies are not in the standard MacPort places.
So i installed the Qt software and Qt creator via MacPort and used that specific application to configure and build the binary. Now cpack generate a dmg that can be installed
in the /Application path and works.

So I started to test each Sdrangel functionality ... and found an other odd thing

I select HackRF as the source device and set sample rate and frequency.
Now i want to record a few seconds of data ... so i right click in the tape icon and chose a file name to be saved .. say ... "test.sdriq"
Now i try to left click on tape icons to set it "red" to prepare capture.  The icon does not turn red and clicking on the start button nothing happen
The GUI is stil responsive, i can change frequency but i hanno move any slider within the device block. I have to close and reopen the application.
So it seems that the recording functions does not work at all.  If i don't use the tape button reception start and the device gui interface seems normal.

Could you try to reproduce the problem on Mac OSX and check if recording works ?
Tnx, Fabio.