Topics

Python script creating a software VOX circuit for SDRAngel PTT

James Dallas

Hi everyone,

Over the past few days I have been working on VOX for SDRAngel.

Initially my plan was to control PTT using serial port lines, but serial ports are not on all modern computers (particularly laptops). And I find that trying to get the CTS/DTR states off of USB-to-serial adapters and serial port emulators (like tty0tty) is a bit dodgy.

So, rather than beat my head on a wall with serial ports, I decided to just use VOX instead.

As noted in a previous e-mail regarding relayngel (in response to Marty)  I said I am planning on doing a YouTube video explaining all of this. Please be patient with me; I will try to get this uploaded by end of the weekend.

Link to my github for voxangel:

https://github.com/texasyojimbo/voxangel

73s,

James AD5NL

Marty Wittrock

James,

Looks like 'VOxAngel' will still control serial devices and other 'smart relays'. Will there be provisions to set the relay to a certain COM port and then define the ON and OFF strings necessary to control relays of that kind? 

Keep me advised - great work on this..!

73 de Marty, KN0CK

James Dallas

Hi Marty:

voxangel doesn't directly control relays.

voxangel sends messages using the REST API to control SDRAngel devices.

SDRAngel then sends messages to relayngel to control relays and such.

Here is a diagram of the data flow in the voxangel/SDRAngel/relayngel ecosystem:

image.png

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 2:56 PM Marty Wittrock <martywittrock@...> wrote:

James,

Looks like 'VOxAngel' will still control serial devices and other 'smart relays'. Will there be provisions to set the relay to a certain COM port and then define the ON and OFF strings necessary to control relays of that kind? 

73 de Marty, KN0CK

James Dallas

Ideally I'd like to change that architecture to something more like this, because I think it would be easier to use, perform better and be more powerful, but this is very much a "long-term" goal:

image.png

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 3:13 PM James Dallas via Groups.Io <jim.dallas=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Marty:

Here is a diagram of the data flow in the voxangel/SDRAngel/relayngel ecosystem:

image.png

James,

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Siegfried Jackstien

james you must be a very clever guy :-)

i could not do that

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 22.03.2019 um 20:30 schrieb James Dallas:

Ideally I'd like to change that architecture to something more like this, because I think it would be easier to use, perform better and be more powerful, but this is very much a "long-term" goal:

image.png

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 3:13 PM James Dallas via Groups.Io <jim.dallas=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Marty:

image.png

James,

73 de Marty, KN0CK

James Dallas

Siegried,

Python has a pretty large user base and there are a lot of code examples on stackexchange and other forums that I drew inspiration from.

It has some quirks (particularly in 2.x) but Python is a very easy language to learn and to use. Unlike Java (which is my other weapon of choice) I don't have to spend much time thinking about how classes work/object models.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 3:56 PM Siegfried Jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

james you must be a very clever guy :-)

i could not do that

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 22.03.2019 um 20:30 schrieb James Dallas:

image.png

Hi Marty:

image.png

James,

73 de Marty, KN0CK