Topics

PI4 build instructions - PTT button

Giuseppe Marullo

Hi,
I would like to have the latest SDRAngel version to run on a PI4 with PTT.
Got the precooked image from luigi.ltd with SDRAngel (4.14.19) but apparently does not have the PTT plugin.
Is it because I need a later version or it is not available on Arm?

BTW, I tried to build it using the normal procedure but it failed.

Do specific build instructions exist for PI?

TIA.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

Giuseppe Marullo

Just to provide some context, trying to study all the pieces for OSCAR100, using this PA for the uplink:

https://sg-lab.com/AMP2400v3/amp2400_v3.html

If the HackRF would prove not suitable, I will use a transverter and usual ham radio transceiver.

Thanks.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

On 10/19/2020 12:05 PM, Giuseppe Marullo wrote:
Hi,
Got the precooked image from luigi.ltd with SDRAngel (4.14.19) but apparently does not have the PTT plugin.

TIA.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

Siegfried Jackstien

hack is not good

use a pluto

regardless if you use pluto or hackrf ... you need to add a small predriver cause the sg lab needs around 40 or 50 mw while those sdr only can give you 4 mw max (and those are not clean so better use 10 db less then maximum) ... means you have to additonaly put a 20 db mmic gain stage in front of the sg lab

transverter may become problematic if you do not lock its clock to a gps a similar stable signal (or in other words it will drift like hell)

my qo100 station is an amp with similar power level as the sglab but with included predriver (direct pluto driven) ... a poty feed with tcxo modded lnb ... a bias t and a small tablet (so no need or a superfast machine) ... no fancy upconverters ... and cause i could get the tcxo inside pluto real stable (with using the metal case as a cooler) i do not need a gps clock

good luck on your project ...stay safe

dg9bfc sigi

Am 19.10.2020 um 22:33 schrieb Giuseppe Marullo:

Just to provide some context, trying to study all the pieces for OSCAR100, using this PA for the uplink:

https://sg-lab.com/AMP2400v3/amp2400_v3.html

If the HackRF would prove not suitable, I will use a transverter and usual ham radio transceiver.

Thanks.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

On 10/19/2020 12:05 PM, Giuseppe Marullo wrote:
Hi,

TIA.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

Giuseppe Marullo

hack is not good
Not the best I admit, but I was thinking the worst thing to overcome was the low power available to drive the amplifier. Is it because the 8bit resolution or what?

use a pluto
I could have a pluto, a little mangled on TXCO pad(friend of mine tried the dupa double solderer trick, didn't end well), with little effort I may be able to fix it.

regardless if you use pluto or hackrf ... you need to add a small
predriver cause the sg lab needs around 40 or 50 mw while those sdr only can give you 4 mw max (and those are not clean so better use 10
db less then maximum) ... means you have to additonaly put a 20 db
mmic gain stage in front of the sg lab

Could you recommend a predriver or reference to the amplifier you are using?

I would like to test it with HackRF and Pluto, I may need some more power for other projects anyway. I will only open my car, I promise.

transverter may become problematic if you do not lock its clock to a
gps a similar stable signal (or in other words it will drift like hell)

I have a Trimble and a QRPLabs GPSDO, the latter with a second programmable output (I could use to generate the 25MHz for example). I was hoping to just use the HackRF and avoid the transverter altogether. I would also need to keep a V-U SSB radio just for this (like an old 726R). With the HackRF, no radio needed.

my qo100 station is an amp with similar power level as the sglab but
with included predriver (direct pluto driven) ... a poty feed with tcxo modded lnb ... a bias t and
It is nice if you could make it enough stable that GPSDO is not needed.

a small tablet (so no need or a superfast machine) ... no fancy
upconverters ... and cause i could get the tcxo inside pluto real stable (with using the metal case as a cooler) i do not need a gps clock
Ideally I would use a PI4, but at the moment I am unable to use the PTT button (because of the build?), hence no TX anyway.

Thanks, you too.

Siegfried Jackstien

Am 20.10.2020 um 00:13 schrieb Giuseppe Marullo:
hack is not good
Not the best I admit, but I was thinking the worst thing to overcome was the low power available to drive the amplifier. Is it because the 8bit resolution or what?
yepp ... that 8 bit is just not as good as a plito
use a pluto
I could have a pluto, a little mangled on TXCO pad(friend of mine tried the dupa double solderer trick, didn't end well), with little effort I may be able to fix it.
i modded way over a dozen with a new clock ... adding new one in is not that tricky but getting the old one out is (as your friend has already found out) ... the multilayer pcb "sucks2 hte heat away so it take a bit of time to melten all 4 solder spots (i do it with hot air biut also that is dangerous ... there are tiny caps close to clock)

regardless if you use pluto or hackrf ... you need to add a small
predriver cause the sg lab needs around 40 or 50 mw while those sdr only can give you 4 mw max (and those are not clean so better use 10
db less then maximum) ... means you have to additonaly put a 20 db
mmic gain stage in front of the sg lab

Could you recommend a predriver or reference to the amplifier you are using?
my amp is homebrewed ... predriver is skyworks 65017

so ... buythe cheapes lna in chinamarket you can find (you need only the pcb and the two sma connectors) ... then solder on the sky17 and you have a superb wideband amp with near flat 20 db gain from 100 megs up to 6 gig ... so a perfect driver behind a pluto for ANY band

yes ... near flat 20 db gain over that complete area (and not 20 db at 1 gig but only 5 ot 6 db at 6 g)

I would like to test it with HackRF and Pluto, I may need some more power for other projects anyway. I will only open my car, I promise.

transverter may become problematic if you do not lock its clock to a
gps a similar stable signal (or in other words it will drift like hell)

I have a Trimble and a QRPLabs GPSDO, the latter with a second programmable output (I could use to generate the 25MHz for example). I was hoping to just use the HackRF and avoid the transverter altogether. I would also need to keep a V-U SSB radio just for this (like an old 726R). With the HackRF, no radio needed.
yepp same why i use the pluto ... i do not own a multimode multiband sat mode capable rig ... so the pluto was the bets choice here

yes you can use the 25 to stabilize the lnb ... but you also need a stable 40 megs for your sdr

my qo100 station is an amp with similar power level as the sglab but
with included predriver (direct pluto driven) ... a poty feed with tcxo modded lnb ... a bias t and
It is nice if you could make it enough stable that GPSDO is not needed.
only rx drifts a bit (tcxo is inside lnb so outside in weather) BUT THAT IS COMPENSATED WITH THE LOCKING ON THE BEACON!!

tx is stable cause i modded the pluto with TWO main things ... i replaced tcxo but mounted it at a boit more distance to the trx chip ... and i use the aluminium case as cooler ... so i "suck away" the trx chips heat when txing and i added a lot of thermal mass that also helps to stabilize it

a small tablet (so no need or a superfast machine) ... no fancy
upconverters ... and cause i could get the tcxo inside pluto real stable (with using the metal case as a cooler) i do not need a gps clock
Ideally I would use a PI4, but at the moment I am unable to use the PTT button (because of the build?), hence no TX anyway.

Thanks, you too.

andre buhart

Here an example of my QO-100 transceiver using Hack-RF.

https://f1atb.fr/index.php/2020/05/12/q0-100-transceiver-with-sdr/

I use it everyday with good reports.

André
F1ATB