Topics

New Interface - How do I tune HF?


Marty Wittrock
 

Edouard,

I loaded the latest SDRAngel onto a VirtualBox session on my Windows PC (i7 desktop) and running Ubuntu 18.10 - compile and dependencies went fine, and was able to launch SDRAngel without any issues - but the interface is truly different from the last time I played with it (December). Just wondering if you can post a quick set of instructions on how to tune HF with the newly laid out GUI. I can see the 30.000 MHz and I've found the delta tuning that I set for 30.000 MHz so I can tune the entire HF band, I've set the BW to 130 MHz and left the filter alone (I think it's set to 1.4 MHz) also, I see a new BW control that I'm not sure how to use. Again, is there a simple way to describe how to tune HF receive - once I know that I should be able to figure out how to tune for transmit. Anything you can help me with will be greatly appreciated - the new interface looks great. I can tune V/UHF without any issues, it's just how to tune HF that is the primary thing I'm looking for help on with this new GUI layout.

73 de Marty, KN0CK 


Michael Durkin
 

Are you using SoapySDR or native?

Native .. activate the NCO and set to -22M (ish)

Select a device -- ill need to be at home to do that, i'm at work

Set decimation to 4 software to 4 as well

Set filter to 130M (open)

Set VCO to 7000Khz

Activate a Demod pattern --wfm, ssb ... hit pluss-- it should populate
on the right side of the screen

change the antenna selection from none to what port you want

SET GAIN TO MANUAL !!! set LNA to 4, Tia to 1 PGA to 25(ish)

Start the radio by clicking on the left pointing arrow(is it still ??)

On 2/22/19, Marty Wittrock <@martywittrock> wrote:
Edouard,

I loaded the latest SDRAngel onto a VirtualBox session on my Windows PC (i7
desktop) and running Ubuntu 18.10 - compile and dependencies went fine, and
was able to launch SDRAngel without any issues - but the interface is truly
different from the last time I played with it (December). Just wondering if
you can post a quick set of instructions on how to tune HF with the newly
laid out GUI. I can see the 30.000 MHz and I've found the delta tuning that
I set for 30.000 MHz so I can tune the entire HF band, I've set the BW to
130 MHz and left the filter alone (I think it's set to 1.4 MHz) also, I see
a new BW control that I'm not sure how to use. Again, is there a simple way
to describe how to tune HF receive - once I know that I should be able to
figure out how to tune for transmit. Anything you can help me with will be
greatly appreciated - the new interface looks great. I can tune V/UHF
without any issues, it's just how to tune HF that is the primary thing I'm
looking for help on with this new GUI layout.

73 de Marty, KN0CK




James Dallas
 

I'm pretty sure Marty is asking about Soapy. And while I've had decent luck with 4.4.4 on VHF, I can't say I know of any way to trigger the NCO for HF.

I suppose if you use a high bandwidth and sample rate you could set the VCO at like 30 MHz...

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019, 11:26 AM Michael Durkin <Kc7noa@... wrote:
Are you using SoapySDR or native?

Native .. activate the NCO and set to -22M (ish)

Select a device -- ill need to be at home to do that, i'm at work

Set decimation to 4 software to 4 as well

Set filter to 130M (open)

Set VCO to 7000Khz

Activate a Demod pattern --wfm, ssb ... hit pluss-- it should populate
on the right side of the screen

change the antenna selection from none to what port you want

SET GAIN TO MANUAL !!!  set LNA to 4, Tia to 1 PGA to 25(ish)

Start the radio by clicking on the left pointing arrow(is it still ??)





On 2/22/19, Marty Wittrock <martywittrock@...> wrote:
> Edouard,
>
> I loaded the latest SDRAngel onto a VirtualBox session on my Windows PC (i7
> desktop) and running Ubuntu 18.10 - compile and dependencies went fine, and
> was able to launch SDRAngel without any issues - but the interface is truly
> different from the last time I played with it (December). Just wondering if
> you can post a quick set of instructions on how to tune HF with the newly
> laid out GUI. I can see the 30.000 MHz and I've found the delta tuning that
> I set for 30.000 MHz so I can tune the entire HF band, I've set the BW to
> 130 MHz and left the filter alone (I think it's set to 1.4 MHz) also, I see
> a new BW control that I'm not sure how to use. Again, is there a simple way
> to describe how to tune HF receive - once I know that I should be able to
> figure out how to tune for transmit. Anything you can help me with will be
> greatly appreciated - the new interface looks great. I can tune V/UHF
> without any issues, it's just how to tune HF that is the primary thing I'm
> looking for help on with this new GUI layout.
>
> 73 de Marty, KN0CK
>
>
>
>




James Dallas
 

With Soapy my guess is that the LimeSDR should act more or less the same way it does when using soapy+gqrx...


On Fri, Feb 22, 2019, 11:36 AM James Dallas via Groups.Io <jim.dallas=gmail.com@groups.io wrote:
I'm pretty sure Marty is asking about Soapy. And while I've had decent luck with 4.4.4 on VHF, I can't say I know of any way to trigger the NCO for HF.

I suppose if you use a high bandwidth and sample rate you could set the VCO at like 30 MHz...

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019, 11:26 AM Michael Durkin <Kc7noa@... wrote:
Are you using SoapySDR or native?

Native .. activate the NCO and set to -22M (ish)

Select a device -- ill need to be at home to do that, i'm at work

Set decimation to 4 software to 4 as well

Set filter to 130M (open)

Set VCO to 7000Khz

Activate a Demod pattern --wfm, ssb ... hit pluss-- it should populate
on the right side of the screen

change the antenna selection from none to what port you want

SET GAIN TO MANUAL !!!  set LNA to 4, Tia to 1 PGA to 25(ish)

Start the radio by clicking on the left pointing arrow(is it still ??)





On 2/22/19, Marty Wittrock <martywittrock@...> wrote:
> Edouard,
>
> I loaded the latest SDRAngel onto a VirtualBox session on my Windows PC (i7
> desktop) and running Ubuntu 18.10 - compile and dependencies went fine, and
> was able to launch SDRAngel without any issues - but the interface is truly
> different from the last time I played with it (December). Just wondering if
> you can post a quick set of instructions on how to tune HF with the newly
> laid out GUI. I can see the 30.000 MHz and I've found the delta tuning that
> I set for 30.000 MHz so I can tune the entire HF band, I've set the BW to
> 130 MHz and left the filter alone (I think it's set to 1.4 MHz) also, I see
> a new BW control that I'm not sure how to use. Again, is there a simple way
> to describe how to tune HF receive - once I know that I should be able to
> figure out how to tune for transmit. Anything you can help me with will be
> greatly appreciated - the new interface looks great. I can tune V/UHF
> without any issues, it's just how to tune HF that is the primary thing I'm
> looking for help on with this new GUI layout.
>
> 73 de Marty, KN0CK
>
>
>
>




Marty Wittrock
 

Mike / James,

Thanks for the responses - I am using SoapySDR because it's one of the dependencies in the compile but this new GUI really has me thrown for a loop. I was used to the GUI as it was in December, but now there's additional tuning adjustments that I'm just not that sure about - - especially the BW +/- that has an adjustment of +/- 10 MHz...Not sure what that does in the whole mix. I'll tell you what I tried (and I eventually stumbled onto some HF activity somewhere in the 40m or 80/75m band, but it was hard to know because the main frequency selector was showing 1.540 MHz (and I was trying to find my local AM station just to know how to tune, but never got there) - here's what I did:

1.) Initially set the main tuning to 30.000 MHz
2.) Clicked on the 'X' and set the delta tuning to -27 MHz such that I could tune (what I thought in the 3 - 4 MHz region and eventually stumble onto the 80/75m band)
3.) Opened up the filter to 130 MHz (this was from last time, too - so I kind of knew that control would allow everything to pass through)
4.) Played with the BW +/- and saw things change, but then again it wasn't very coherent...There was a time that I was capturing a 'ham band' and noted the settings, then switched off of it, nothing, came back to what was 'good' and then nothing there either...Frustrating. I was using the same settings where I heard SSB voice and was tuning it, then lost it just by changing the BW 1 MHz from where I was at and lost it with a 'good' setting.
5.) Played with sampling - saw that I could change the BW of my tuning range - that was helpful
6.) Played with other sampling controls (the one that can adjust from 1 - 64) and found out the same thing - range change, that was helpful
7.) Tried to fix the main tuning control to 1.540 MHz so I could hear my local AM station (KXEL) and tried adjusting the Delta Frequency, BW, Main Tuning, to no avail...SDRAngel used to tune the AM broadcast band fine in the older releases - this release I had no idea where I was and I wasn't capturing the AM stations.
8.) Tuned VHF directly and it worked perfect - tuned to 162.475 MHz (our local weather station - came right up - no issues tuning or demoding at all).

I'm pretty sure I didn't see an 'NCO' button like there was in the previous versions - All there was, was the 'X' that you can click for Delta Tuning and then click on the checkmark to activate that function - that seemed to move me down into the HF region, but tuning after that didn't follow any logic like the older versions did. It almost makes me pine for those older versions working with the 2.19 firmware - I'd sooner use it than this new GUI...Very confusing what's going on. No issues with demoding - that was all familiar.

So from all this, can anyone let me know how the new GUI tunes with the other controls and how they affect it? Mike has given me a good ruleset that seems to be right for SDRAngel to tune HF, but I'm just not sure about this BW+/- control and anything else that may affect why I'm not seeing the correct tuned frequency showing up in the Main tuning control (why can't that be where we need to tune?).

Let me know - I'm planning on playing around some more with it tonight to get more familiar with this new GUI (and I really need to know if transmit is set up the same way), but any information you can provide that will get me closer to making it work correctly will be greatly appreciated.

73 de Marty, KN0CK 


Michael Durkin
 

Ok .. if you Did not see the NCO -- you are Using SoapySDR and you do
not need to use that with SdrAngel ... it does do Native through.

I think that the missing NCO is from the SoapySDRapi and not SdrAngel ...

LimeSDR and Gqrx no longer works ... i have not figured out to get
gqrx to work with SoaptSDR/Lime so i cant make a comparison to
SdrAngel and Gqrx using SoapySDR

On 2/22/19, Marty Wittrock <@martywittrock> wrote:
Mike / James,

Thanks for the responses - I am using SoapySDR because it's one of the
dependencies in the compile but this new GUI really has me thrown for a
loop. I was used to the GUI as it was in December, but now there's
additional tuning adjustments that I'm just not that sure about - -
especially the BW +/- that has an adjustment of +/- 10 MHz...Not sure what
that does in the whole mix. I'll tell you what I tried (and I eventually
stumbled onto some HF activity somewhere in the 40m or 80/75m band, but it
was hard to know because the main frequency selector was showing 1.540 MHz
(and I was trying to find my local AM station just to know how to tune, but
never got there) - here's what I did:

1.) Initially set the main tuning to 30.000 MHz
2.) Clicked on the 'X' and set the delta tuning to -27 MHz such that I could
tune (what I thought in the 3 - 4 MHz region and eventually stumble onto the
80/75m band)
3.) Opened up the filter to 130 MHz (this was from last time, too - so I
kind of knew that control would allow everything to pass through)
4.) Played with the BW +/- and saw things change, but then again it wasn't
very coherent...There was a time that I was capturing a 'ham band' and noted
the settings, then switched off of it, nothing, came back to what was 'good'
and then nothing there either...Frustrating. I was using the same settings
where I heard SSB voice and was tuning it, then lost it just by changing the
BW 1 MHz from where I was at and lost it with a 'good' setting.
5.) Played with sampling - saw that I could change the BW of my tuning range
- that was helpful
6.) Played with other sampling controls (the one that can adjust from 1 -
64) and found out the same thing - range change, that was helpful
7.) Tried to fix the main tuning control to 1.540 MHz so I could hear my
local AM station (KXEL) and tried adjusting the Delta Frequency, BW, Main
Tuning, to no avail...SDRAngel used to tune the AM broadcast band fine in
the older releases - this release I had no idea where I was and I wasn't
capturing the AM stations.
8.) Tuned VHF directly and it worked perfect - tuned to 162.475 MHz (our
local weather station - came right up - no issues tuning or demoding at
all).

I'm pretty sure I didn't see an 'NCO' button like there was in the previous
versions - All there was, was the 'X' that you can click for Delta Tuning
and then click on the checkmark to activate that function - that seemed to
move me down into the HF region, but tuning after that didn't follow any
logic like the older versions did. It almost makes me pine for those older
versions working with the 2.19 firmware - I'd sooner use it than this new
GUI...Very confusing what's going on. No issues with demoding - that was all
familiar.

So from all this, can anyone let me know how the new GUI tunes with the
other controls and how they affect it? Mike has given me a good ruleset that
seems to be right for SDRAngel to tune HF, but I'm just not sure about this
BW+/- control and anything else that may affect why I'm not seeing the
correct tuned frequency showing up in the Main tuning control (why can't
that be where we need to tune?).

Let me know - I'm planning on playing around some more with it tonight to
get more familiar with this new GUI (and I really need to know if transmit
is set up the same way), but any information you can provide that will get
me closer to making it work correctly will be greatly appreciated.

73 de Marty, KN0CK




Marty Wittrock
 
Edited

Mike / James,

Okay - forget everything I said...I had an epiphany this morning and JUST installed the Windows version of SDRAngel (along with the 2017 redistributable) and did the following and it's working perfectly in receive:

1.) Found out I can run Native mode right out of the chute (which I prefer) - it came up with the interface I was most accustom to. 
2.) Clicked on the NCO button and set the offset to -30 MHz (which I knew worked the last time I used it)
3.) Adjusted all the gains like I normally do
4.) Adjusted the LPF to 130 MHz (like Mike mentioned, wide open)
5.) Tuned to 5.0 MHz WWV and heard it clearly with an AM demodulator installed
6.) Installed a SSB demod and checked 40m (7.150 MHz, amongst others) - worked perfect

So I'm sticking with the Windows version and I didn't even have to install Zadig to do it - It came right up with the Cypress (MyriadRF) driver for the Lime. 

All is well now - imagine that... :)

73 de Marty, KN0CK


James Dallas
 

Hmm, were you not able to run native in Linux?

That's what I usually do. 

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019, 9:06 AM Marty Wittrock <martywittrock@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Mike / James,

Okay - forget everything I said...I had an epiphany this morning and JUST installed the Windows version of SDRAngel (along with the 2017 redistributable) and did the following and it's working perfectly in receive:

1.) Found out I can run Native mode right out of the chute (which I prefer) - it came up with the interface I was most accustom to. 
2.) Clicked on the NCO button and set the offset to -30 MHz (which I knew worked the last time I used it)
3.) Adjusted all the gains like I normally do
4.) Adjusted the LPF to 130 MHz (like Mike mentioned, wide open)
5.) Tuned to 5.0 MHz WWV and heard it clearly with an AM demodulator installed
6.) Installed a SSB demod and checked 40m (7.150 MHz, amongst others) - worked perfect

So I'm sticking with the Windows version and I didn't even have to install Zadig to do it - It came right up with the Cypress (MyriadRF) driver for the Lime. 

All is well now - imagine that... :)

73 de Marty, KN0CK


Michael Durkin
 

Marty,

did i see that you were decoding FT8 ? perhapse Tx ...

how did you interface sdrangel and FT8 --- rig control too?

kc7noa

On 2/23/19, James Dallas <jim.dallas@...> wrote:
Hmm, were you not able to run native in Linux?

That's what I usually do.

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019, 9:06 AM Marty Wittrock <@martywittrock>
wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
Mike / James,

Okay - forget everything I said...I had an epiphany this morning and JUST
installed the Windows version of SDRAngel (along with the 2017
redistributable) and did the following and it's working perfectly in
receive:

1.) Found out I can run Native mode right out of the chute (which I
prefer) - it came up with the interface I was most accustom to.
2.) Clicked on the NCO button and set the offset to -30 MHz (which I knew
worked the last time I used it)
3.) Adjusted all the gains like I normally do
4.) Adjusted the LPF to 130 MHz (like Mike mentioned, wide open)
5.) Tuned to 5.0 MHz WWV and heard it clearly with an AM demodulator
installed
6.) Installed a SSB demod and checked 40m (7.150 MHz, amongst others) -
worked perfect

So I'm sticking with the Windows version and I didn't even have to
install
Zadig to do it - It came right up with the Cypress (MyriadRF) driver for
the Lime.

All is well now - imagine that... :)

73 de Marty, KN0CK




Marty Wittrock
 

Mike,

I was receiving on FT8 with SDRAngel and my LimeSDR USB version with the latest firmware load, but I need to develop a transmit/receive switch or utilize my GPIO board such that I can switch between the RX1L and TX1L ports with the same HF outside antenna (Hustler 6BTV). I tried transmitting WSPR overnight with the Lime, but found that the stock power output level was only about -2.6dBm - not enough power to be heard across to the next county let alone be heard anywhere else world-wide. So I took measurements of the LimeSDR USB version and posted that. I'm going to setup a 2W - 5W amp for WSPR on 40m by next weekend and see how well it does, but the main thing I have to do is get a reliable T/R switch going and I may just brute force that using either the GPIO board, or I'll prototype a COR (Carrier Operated Relay) to make the switching happen...More to follow on that in the days ahead - Stay tuned... 

73 de Marty, KN0CK


Michael Durkin
 

i seen a 30$ tr switch and with the PA i used before ... both
controlled with a GPIO should make 2W

I still want to use a AuduinoNano as a TR switch and band filter
switch ... but Simon does not seem interested ....

would be nice to just be able to use a serial port (usb) with some SMD
filters for VHF and up ...

On 2/24/19, Marty Wittrock <@martywittrock> wrote:
Mike,

I was receiving on FT8 with SDRAngel and my LimeSDR USB version with the
latest firmware load, but I need to develop a transmit/receive switch or
utilize my GPIO board such that I can switch between the RX1L and TX1L ports
with the same HF outside antenna (Hustler 6BTV). I tried transmitting WSPR
overnight with the Lime, but found that the stock power output level was
only about -2.6dBm - not enough power to be heard across to the next county
let alone be heard anywhere else world-wide. So I took measurements of the
LimeSDR USB version and posted that. I'm going to setup a 2W - 5W amp for
WSPR on 40m by next weekend and see how well it does, but the main thing I
have to do is get a reliable T/R switch going and I may just brute force
that using either the GPIO board, or I'll prototype a COR (Carrier Operated
Relay) to make the switching happen...More to follow on that in the days
ahead - Stay tuned...

73 de Marty, KN0CK




Michael Durkin
 

Marty,

it was ebay 173679905351 ... you could probably find cheaper

On 2/24/19, Michael Durkin via Groups.Io <Kc7noa=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
i seen a 30$ tr switch and with the PA i used before ... both
controlled with a GPIO should make 2W

I still want to use a AuduinoNano as a TR switch and band filter
switch ... but Simon does not seem interested ....

would be nice to just be able to use a serial port (usb) with some SMD
filters for VHF and up ...

On 2/24/19, Marty Wittrock <@martywittrock> wrote:
Mike,

I was receiving on FT8 with SDRAngel and my LimeSDR USB version with the
latest firmware load, but I need to develop a transmit/receive switch or
utilize my GPIO board such that I can switch between the RX1L and TX1L
ports
with the same HF outside antenna (Hustler 6BTV). I tried transmitting
WSPR
overnight with the Lime, but found that the stock power output level was
only about -2.6dBm - not enough power to be heard across to the next
county
let alone be heard anywhere else world-wide. So I took measurements of
the
LimeSDR USB version and posted that. I'm going to setup a 2W - 5W amp for
WSPR on 40m by next weekend and see how well it does, but the main thing
I
have to do is get a reliable T/R switch going and I may just brute force
that using either the GPIO board, or I'll prototype a COR (Carrier
Operated
Relay) to make the switching happen...More to follow on that in the days
ahead - Stay tuned...

73 de Marty, KN0CK






Michael Durkin
 

even more interesting ... its control input takes 25uA (3v or 5v) ...
how much is available from GPIO?

On 2/24/19, Michael Durkin via Groups.Io <Kc7noa=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Marty,

it was ebay 173679905351 ... you could probably find cheaper

On 2/24/19, Michael Durkin via Groups.Io <Kc7noa=gmail.com@groups.io>
wrote:
i seen a 30$ tr switch and with the PA i used before ... both
controlled with a GPIO should make 2W

I still want to use a AuduinoNano as a TR switch and band filter
switch ... but Simon does not seem interested ....

would be nice to just be able to use a serial port (usb) with some SMD
filters for VHF and up ...

On 2/24/19, Marty Wittrock <@martywittrock> wrote:
Mike,

I was receiving on FT8 with SDRAngel and my LimeSDR USB version with the
latest firmware load, but I need to develop a transmit/receive switch or
utilize my GPIO board such that I can switch between the RX1L and TX1L
ports
with the same HF outside antenna (Hustler 6BTV). I tried transmitting
WSPR
overnight with the Lime, but found that the stock power output level was
only about -2.6dBm - not enough power to be heard across to the next
county
let alone be heard anywhere else world-wide. So I took measurements of
the
LimeSDR USB version and posted that. I'm going to setup a 2W - 5W amp
for
WSPR on 40m by next weekend and see how well it does, but the main thing
I
have to do is get a reliable T/R switch going and I may just brute force
that using either the GPIO board, or I'll prototype a COR (Carrier
Operated
Relay) to make the switching happen...More to follow on that in the days
ahead - Stay tuned...

73 de Marty, KN0CK