Topics

MacOS deployment #github #osx


Žiga S.
 

Dear Edouard & other Group members,

I have found this groups, and I would like to open a discussion about MacOS deployment.
If your remember me from the past, with some experimental OSX pull-requests, where only I could use it... :)
Well I did take some time in that regard and merge with your latest master (ATW v4.3.1),
and tried to once again port all the necessities for Mac, where I also use SDRangel at most.
But this time I have done Apple-ish, so that way we can set-up continuous delivery of OSX releases...

I don't know if you even want that, but I am willing to help or to support build instance for this kind of deployment.
Here I really do hope, that I am not the only OSX user, but I use all of the OSes which are there, 
and the OSX is missing, idea is to have all main OSes release support cycles?

I was able to use this software for years using v2/v3 on MacOS with a success
and it was always a good companion with my radio development environment.

I would also invite other people to test it on other OSX versions, so we can manage to have better software support.

There are some minor things to solve, but mostly icons/namespaces etc ... which I don't know what I should put there??
Do you happend to have some nice Application Icon to be packed along DMG? :)
(I will copy namespaces from QSettings, is that OK?)

I am attaching a screenshot from the first test, and I will later on publish my commits where I have all the Apple info&stuff put together...
The HW I tested and I own:
- HackRF One
- RTL2832u (rtlsdr)


Hope for a positive response,
and best last days in 2k18! :)

---
Maybe to add #osx ? :)
---

Kind Regards,
Ziga


Bill Whitacre
 

Thanks Ziga.  I would love to run SDRangel on Mac OS!  Right now I do everything on Bootcamped MacBooks under Win7 — Perseus, HF+, etc.

Bill Whitacre

---

On Dec 26, 2018, at 3:57 PM, Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:

Dear Edouard & other Group members,

I have found this groups, and I would like to open a discussion about MacOS deployment.
If your remember me from the past, with some experimental OSX pull-requests, where only I could use it... :)
Well I did take some time in that regard and merge with your latest master (ATW v4.3.1),
and tried to once again port all the necessities for Mac, where I also use SDRangel at most.
But this time I have done Apple-ish, so that way we can set-up continuous delivery of OSX releases...

I don't know if you even want that, but I am willing to help or to support build instance for this kind of deployment.
Here I really do hope, that I am not the only OSX user, but I use all of the OSes which are there, 
and the OSX is missing, idea is to have all main OSes release support cycles?

I was able to use this software for years using v2/v3 on MacOS with a success
and it was always a good companion with my radio development environment.

I would also invite other people to test it on other OSX versions, so we can manage to have better software support.

There are some minor things to solve, but mostly icons/namespaces etc ... which I don't know what I should put there??
Do you happend to have some nice Application Icon to be packed along DMG? :)
(I will copy namespaces from QSettings, is that OK?)

I am attaching a screenshot from the first test, and I will later on publish my commits where I have all the Apple info&stuff put together...
The HW I tested and I own:
- HackRF One
- RTL2832u (rtlsdr)
<SDRangel_v4.3.1_Qt5.12.0_macOS 10.12.6 .png>

Hope for a positive response,
and best last days in 2k18! :)

---
Maybe to add #osx ? :)
---

Kind Regards,
Ziga


Dana Shtun
 

Ziga

Congrats! I would like to run it on macos as well with
HackRF.
I have it partially working here - unstable under Mojave.

HNY TU

Dana VE3DS
Toronto


Žiga S.
 
Edited

Thanks for your interest.

I will prepare preview DMGs, and post links when I have it done.

From my first impressions on v4.3.x it looks stable, only thing I noticed so far is the red FFT plotting does not clear ... 
that could be Qt bug or something Mac <> codebase related ... but we will find out...
I have here ATM High Sierra, will have Mojave when I buy new mac :)
Will prepare other Qt 5.6.x build aswell.

@Bill: I will build Perseus driver within, so you could test both HWs at your site.

Please give me few days to organize everything....

Cheerz,
Ziga


Bill Whitacre
 

Thanks Ziga. I can test just about any version of Mac OS you want to use.

Bill Whitacre

On Dec 27, 2018, at 2:48 PM, Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Thanks for your interest.

I will prepare preview DMGs, and post links when I have it done.

From my first impressions on v4.3.x it looks stable, only thing I noticed so far is the red FFT plotting does not clear ...
that could be Qt bug or something Mac <> codebase related ... but we will find out...
I have here ATM High Sierra, will have Mojave when I buy new mac :)
Will prepare other Qt 5.6.x build aswell.

@Bill: I will build Perseus driver within, so you could test both HWs at your site.

Please give me few days to organize everything....

Cheerz,
Ziga


Edouard Griffiths
 
Edited

Since recent versions the Spectrum has been reworked and the decay can be lowered down to 0 which means the spectrum will accumulate for ever. This is mostly useful when using the max line to be able to trap transient signals over a long time (this was the original request). On the spectrum display with phosphor feature this will typically result in what you see. You can control the decay with button no 7 here https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/blob/master/sdrgui/readme.md#4-spectrum-display-control

Brgds,
Edouard.


Žiga S.
 

Thanks and true that, but ... :)
I have my two years old presets stored in v3 and it was different and decay parameter knob was not that sensitive for main spectrum.
Then I a played with rtlsdr and noticed that it acts different in v4.... at least only main spectrum decay parameter.

When I used channel spectrum on FM demodulator it was like it was before remembered v4.

Is there any difference in controlling sub spectrums regarding decay parameter ratio calculation in code?

FYI - report:
I don't observe any memleaks using:
- FM Demo(~210MB) &
- Channelyzer(~303MB)
process with RTLSDR was utilizing roughly 1 - 1.5 core per hour 

---

Are there any deployment rules written which could be implemented in build process (generic-wise)?

---

Cheerz, Z


Žiga S.
 

I have prepared first preview DMG and it's available here.
Please try if it even runs at first place, it works here with me :)

In this build it has only HackRF and RTLSDR support, 
will add all of the other drivers avail by source.

And I also decided that Qt 5.12 is the way to go,
it seems stable enough compared to 5.6.2 which I used before in v3....

Collegue of mine also produced appleish appicon, hope it won't hurt someone :)

Cheerz, Z


Bill Whitacre
 

Thanks Z!

Opens fine here on an iMac running Mojave.

I am unable to open Perseus .wav files and note that it’s looking for type .sdriq files.

What kind of saved IQ files should I be able to open other than .sdriq files?

What kind of live radio(s) should I be able to connect via USB?  I have Perseus, HF+, SDR-IQ, Elad FDM-S2 available.

Bill Whitacre

---

On Dec 28, 2018, at 6:39 AM, Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:

I have prepared first preview DMG and it's available here.
Please try if it even runs at first place, it works here with me :)

In this build it has only HackRF and RTLSDR support, 
will add all of the other drivers avail by source.

And I also decided that Qt 5.12 is the way to go,
it seems stable enough compared to 5.6.2 which I used before in v3....

Collegue of mine also produced appleish appicon, hope it won't hurt someone :)

Cheerz, Z


Žiga S.
 
Edited

For now only RTL & HF+ drivers are built in DMG....
will try to compile Perseus driver in next build.

For the IQ files will have to check why there would be any discrepancy with OS X...

SDR-IQ, Elad FDM-S2 ... are those drivers supported in SDRangel driver base?
Which drivers are best to use/compile with those HWs?

Cheerz, Z


Bill Whitacre
 

Plugged in a HF+, rebooted and fired up your build of SDRangel.

Not sure if I’m pushing the right buttons but when I hit the ‘blue arrow’ button at the top left which I gather should choose an input device I get this:


Are there some other steps I need to do?

Bill Whitacre

---

On Dec 28, 2018, at 10:16 AM, Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

For now only RTL & HF+ drivers are built in DMG....
will try to compile Perseus driver in next build.

For the IQ files will have to check why there would be any discrepancy with OS X...

SDR-IQ, Elad FDM-S2 ... are those drivers supported in SDRangel driver base?
Which drivers are best to use/compile with those HWs?

Cheerz, Z


Žiga S.
 

I am guessing that you don't have the hackrf driver installed on mac.

Using hackrf @2018.01.1 works just fine

My way of installing driver is through macports:
sudo port install hackrf
I don't use brew, but they might have it aswell.

After that, use command hackrf_info to enumerate HackRF
If you will see some serial/info stuff, it will be detected also in SDRangel.

Hope it will help a bit.

Cheerz, Z



Bill Whitacre
 

OK, haven’t used MacPorts in awhile. I’ll make sure it’s installed and up-to-date and get hackrf.

I’ll advise how that works.

—=-

On Dec 28, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:

I am guessing that you don't have the hackrf driver installed on mac.

Using hackrf @2018.01.1 works just fine

My way of installing driver is through macports:
sudo port install hackrf
I don't use brew, but they might have it aswell.

After that, use command hackrf_info to enumerate HackRF
If you will see some serial/info stuff, it will be detected also in SDRangel.

Hope it will help a bit.

Cheerz, Z



Bill Whitacre
 

OK, got MacPorts and hackrf installed:

Williams-iMac:~ user1$ sudo port install hackrf
--->  Computing dependencies for hackrf
The following dependencies will be installed: 
 fftw-3
 fftw-3-single
 libusb
Continue? [Y/n]: y
--->  Fetching archive for fftw-3
--->  Attempting to fetch fftw-3-3.3.8_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/fftw-3
--->  Attempting to fetch fftw-3-3.3.8_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from https://packages.macports.org/fftw-3
--->  Installing fftw-3 @3.3.8_0
--->  Activating fftw-3 @3.3.8_0
--->  Cleaning fftw-3
--->  Fetching archive for fftw-3-single
--->  Attempting to fetch fftw-3-single-3.3.8_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/fftw-3-single
--->  Attempting to fetch fftw-3-single-3.3.8_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from https://packages.macports.org/fftw-3-single
--->  Installing fftw-3-single @3.3.8_0
--->  Activating fftw-3-single @3.3.8_0
--->  Cleaning fftw-3-single
--->  Fetching archive for libusb
--->  Attempting to fetch libusb-1.0.22_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/libusb
--->  Attempting to fetch libusb-1.0.22_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from https://packages.macports.org/libusb
--->  Installing libusb @1.0.22_0
--->  Activating libusb @1.0.22_0
--->  Cleaning libusb
--->  Fetching archive for hackrf
--->  Attempting to fetch hackrf-2018.01.1_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/hackrf
--->  Attempting to fetch hackrf-2018.01.1_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from https://packages.macports.org/hackrf
--->  Installing hackrf @2018.01.1_0
--->  Activating hackrf @2018.01.1_0
--->  Cleaning hackrf
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  No broken files found.
--->  No broken ports found.


When I run hackrf_info with a HF+ connected via USB I get the following:

Williams-iMac:~ user1$ hackrf_info
hackrf_info version: unknown
libhackrf version: unknown (0.5)
No HackRF boards found.
Williams-iMac:~ user1$

I don’t think that’s right, is it?

---

On Dec 28, 2018, at 11:19 AM, Bill Whitacre <bw@...> wrote:

OK, haven’t used MacPorts in awhile.  I’ll make sure it’s installed and up-to-date and get hackrf.

I’ll advise how that works.

—=-

On Dec 28, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:

I am guessing that you don't have the hackrf driver installed on mac.

Using hackrf @2018.01.1 works just fine

My way of installing driver is through macports:
sudo port install hackrf
I don't use brew, but they might have it aswell.

After that, use command hackrf_info to enumerate HackRF
If you will see some serial/info stuff, it will be detected also in SDRangel.

Hope it will help a bit.

Cheerz, Z







Žiga S.
 

Installation looks good.

I have a stupid question, does HF+ actually means HackRF One from GSG?
If yes, then I would be confident to go to firmware updates, since it should be in sync with driver....
If not, then we have to find a driver first for HF+ :)

Thanks for trying at best!

Cheerz, Z


Bill Whitacre
 

Sorry, HF+ is the Airspy HF+.

Lots of good info on Airspy HF+ drivers here:

https://github.com/airspy/airspyone_host

---

On Dec 28, 2018, at 12:38 PM, Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:

Installation looks good.

I have a stupid question, does HF+ actually means HackRF One from GSG?
If yes, then I would be confident to go to firmware updates, since it should be in sync with driver....
If not, then we have to find a driver first for HF+ :)

Thanks for trying at best!

Cheerz, Z


Žiga S.
 

That's OK, as long it's logical explanation... 

Next build will have AirSpy & Perseus...

Thank you for your patience,
it might going to be needed in advance. ;)

Cheerz, Z


Bill Whitacre
 

Thanks Z.  It’s great to have someone working on this on the Mac side.

---

On Dec 28, 2018, at 2:33 PM, Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:

That's OK, as long it's logical explanation... 

Next build will have AirSpy & Perseus...

Thank you for your patience,
it might going to be needed in advance. ;)

Cheerz, Z


Dana Shtun
 

Ziga 
DMG looks very nice !

I have hackRF driver installed (hackrf info shows it) but program does not find HackRF driver when I select source or sink.

What am i missing ?  

Thanks
Dana


On Dec 28, 2018, at 11:09, Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:

I am guessing that you don't have the hackrf driver installed on mac.

Using hackrf @2018.01.1 works just fine

My way of installing driver is through macports:
sudo port install hackrf
I don't use brew, but they might have it aswell.

After that, use command hackrf_info to enumerate HackRF
If you will see some serial/info stuff, it will be detected also in SDRangel.

Hope it will help a bit.

Cheerz, Z




Žiga S.
 

Hi Dana,

Well, I don't know, but we can analyze a bit ... 
my first ideas coming are:
- maybe some old dylib(shared-objects) reference loop
- driver/firmware mismatch (Could you paste hackrf_info output)
- If you start SDRangel through Terminal ( /Applications/SDRangel.app/Contents/MacOS/SDRangel ),
  do you see line where it loads plugin lib:

  2018-12-28 21:40:27.318 (D) PluginManager::loadPluginsDir: fileName:  liboutputhackrf.dylib
  2018-12-28 21:40:27.320 (I) PluginManager::loadPluginsDir: loaded plugin liboutputhackrf.dylib
  (Maybe you could paste the whole debug log ....) 

Thanks,

Cheerz, Z