Topics

Logging Software for QSOs?

Bob Stricklin

Hello,

I have recently installed SDRAngel 4.14.10 on Ubuntu 18.04 and seems to reworking fine with Pluto. I need to do more testing and learning though. I have seen some comments about moving on to Ubuntu 20.04. I tried that for a few days and had some issues with GTK not working. May not be an issue for SDRAngel but GTK is used on many other applications. There are some posted work arounds for this.

I am using an Intel NUC i5 with 32G memory and a 1T SSD. I hope to also get SDRAngel working on a Nvidia Jetson Nano. I have seen some issues with other code development due to limited memory so I moved over the NUC. The Nano is lower cost though and has good performance so it is calling me.

My goal is to get this working for VHF and microwave use. I want to interface with FT8 and I would like to use some type of logging software to log QSOs.

I'm looking for logging software known to work with SDRAngel. I searched the messages here and do not see anything mentioned. Has anyone worked with one of the programs which work on Ubuntu/linux using SDRAngel?
I hope to interface the radio with the logging software. I can do some code development if required.

I would appreciate any comments.

Bob N5BRG

Ethan Miller K8GU

Bob,

Sounds like you and I are headed in the same direction, but you might
be moving a bit faster! I've successfully used WSJT-X on receive with
SDRAngel and my ADALM-Pluto, but that's about where I left off last
winter. I have a NUC i5 w/ 8 GB of RAM, spinning disk, and Xubuntu
20.04 that runs SDRAngel fine; for my VHF+ activities, I've been
playing with an old ThinkPad R61 with a 2.0-GHz Core Duo and 4 GB of
RAM and that seems to work fine on both TX and RX if you keep all the
bandwidth knobs cranked down tight! That machine runs Debian 10.4
with LXDE. I like the Jetson Nano idea, though!

To answer your question on logging, I'm an "old" (39 years old is not,
especially in this hobby) HF CW contest operator who loved TR-Log for
DOS so I use TRLinux for logging. N6TR is a VHF op, too, so it
doesn't barf on VHF+ frequencies. I have not done the "glue" coding
to connect the two. My initial thinking was to expose everything as a
(virtual) serial port and implement a subset of one of the existing
radio control vocabularies to keep it backward-compatible, probably
the Elecraft K3 or K2 since that's what I have in my station, plus
they can be commanded with CW messages just like SDRAngel.

At the risk of hijacking your thread, what are your plans with respect
to off-board RF hardware? Mike, W3IP, was working on something for a
couple of microwave bands about two years ago...he was the one who
turned me on to the Pluto and SDRAngel. I'm most interested in the
bands for which I have antennas but no transverters (222, 903, and
1296), but I'm interested in getting everything 2 m through 6 cm in a
tidy package for roving or hilltopping eventually. I will probably
start with single-band 222 since I'm on a partially-wooded residential
lot and can't easily get my antennas over the trees, plus I have a
couple of nearby hams with 222 to do on-the-air checkout.

No help, unfortunately, but I firmly endorse your efforts! :)

73,

--Ethan, K8GU.

--
http://www.k8gu.com/
Repair. Re-use. Re-purpose. Recycle.

Bob Stricklin

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for the feedback and good to hear from you.

I took a look at TRLinux. I see it is mostly written in Pascal. I would prefer C or C++.
Need to keep looking around and now looking at Xlog. It looks like this package stores data in text files.
I would prefer to work with SQL. The tricky thing about these packages is that they needed to work with lots
of radios. Sometimes Hamlib is used to deal with the different interfaces but they tend to lump SDR into one bucket.

I am still looking for more comments on the Logging Programs if anyone has used another package with SDRAngel.

Have a few years on you Ethan at 69. I tend to be more of a builder and tester but I want to get more use out of all my
hardware.

I have a 40 footish (~12 Meter) tower up with 144, 220, 440, 902, 1296, and 2304 MHz antennas up with a 6 position Mil Spec relay connected to some 7/8" hard line to feed into my shack. So the idea is to connect this into a network of preamps and amps for the desired band. Then use SDRAngel to operate the relays needed to get everything in play. I may need to add some code to do this since my needs are spacific.

My plan is to use mixers (plus buffer amps) with tunable LO to operate the desired band. Each band will need a filter to limit spurs on transmit and incoming signals. The Pluto needs a preamp also due to low sensitivity. I may take advantage of the GPIO on the Pluto to operate my relays but will probably use a set of USB based relays to switch power to my RF relays.

I will post block diagrams/schematics of this later.

I also want to use this on 10 GHz. I have a 10 GHz station. I want to use the Pluto as the baseband radio. May modify SDRAngel to support the use of a known LO so the display frequency info is correct.
Will use the same idea on other microwave bands including 122 GHz. I hope to do this for mobil operation. When I have operated mobil in the past I have too much equipment and hope to use the Pluto(s) to fix this problem.
I need to get SDRAngel supporting the IP connection via Soapy so I can put Pluto behind the dish and the computer in the air conditioned car. More code needed for this too work. I did see the IP code F4EXB posted.

As you can see a lot to do. I want to do this in stages and do some actual operation along the way.

Ideas for anyone or welcome.

Bob N5BRG