Topics

Is Lime SDR usable with sdrangel on win10 ?

alexandre CASTELLANE

Hi,

I'm wondering if Sdrangel can handle a lime SDR on windows ?

Thanks

F5SFU

Edouard Griffiths

Hi Alexandre,

LimeSDR USB (the big one) should be fine but not the Lime Mini. Lime Mini uses a different USB controller that is not handled by Zadig / libusb. You can however work around this with Soapy SDR if you have no other choice than Lime Mini + Windows. Of course my recommendation is to run under Linux...

Brgds, Edouard.

alexandre CASTELLANE

Bonjour Edouard,

I got the original Big One long time ago (the responsible for this craziness is our friend Evariste !!) And I re-installed a virtual box with ubuntu yesterday evening, coming back in the "straight path" :)

As you know I'm not that comfortable with software, would you recommend to explore the docker installation in this virtual box, or traditional installation.

For my information : Is docker installation available under windows ?

Un grand merci pour ton travail cher ami :)

F5SFU

On 02/04/2019 02:18, Edouard Griffiths wrote:
Hi Alexandre,

LimeSDR USB (the big one) should be fine but not the Lime Mini. Lime Mini uses a different USB controller that is not handled by Zadig / libusb. You can however work around this with Soapy SDR if you have no other choice than Lime Mini + Windows. Of course my recommendation is to run under Linux...

Brgds, Edouard.

Fabio IZ0IBA 2220156

Hi Alexandre, although Sdrangel will work in a  VirtualBox environment, take into account that USB port virtualization can lead to some problems.
I have a working Sdrangel installation on OpenSuse 42.3 Linux in a Virtualbox environment over iMac Mojave OSX machine.
Everything works but there is a limitation to the max sampling rate usable.
To achieve high sampling rate with USB interrupt transfer it is necessary a very strict time conditioning in flow handling.  Virtualbox Hypervisor seems to introduce
some random delays when handling frames, since has to cope with activities of the OS managed.

My tests show that sampling up to 4 Mbit/s will work but going higher than 4 Mbit/s will lead to frames dropped and some micro-interruptions.
In general SDRs does not like virtualizated environment.  This is not a problem for handling narrow band signals (even broadcast FM is in a wider sense narrow)
but for signals having bandwidth greater than 2 Mhz (and so Sampling minimum is 4 Mbit/s) it is better to have SDRangel native built in a Operating System.

73, Fabio IZ0IBA

alexandre CASTELLANE

grazie Fabio per i dettagli

this is good news anyway as my intention was to begin with narrowband for O-100, so I'll continue in this direction for a while. then I'll consider changing to native linux for future DVB experiments.

Few month ago I got it pretty good result working with rtlsdr in virtual box, but did not pay attention to the bandwidth limitation. I'll this time.

73, F5SFU.

On 02/04/2019 10:05, Fabio IZ0IBA 2220156 wrote:
[...]

taking into consideration the warnings from Fabio the "dockerization" should work in a Virtualbox VM (vanilla flavor). However there are a few more warnings: 1. I have had some trouble with the sound but this could be something particular to my Windows machine. 2. As far as I can see OpenGL is software emulated. However the FPS are capped to 20 FPS so this should still be fine in most situations.

The Hyper-V based flavor of Docker will not work in the SDRangel case because of the lack of proper USB and sound support.

Brgds, Edouard.