Topics

I need simple instructions for installing and starting SDRAngel on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

drtac7.strider@...

Hello.

Essentially I just need a simple, set-by-step instructional for installing SDRAngel on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Just list what commands to type and in what order.

Thank you.

James Dallas

The simplest way to use sdrangel on Linux is to use the prebuilt packages.

The way I would do this (note, I am using 18.04):

1.) Point your web browser at: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/releases

2.) Download the DEB file for the most recent release for your distribution.
In the case of Ubuntu 16.04: sdrangel_4.4.3-1_amd64_xenial.deb
In the case of 18.04, it would be: sdrangel_4.4.3-1_amd64.deb

3.) Use apt to install:
# note the name of the downloaded deb file will vary
sudo apt-get install ./sdrangel_4.4.3-1_amd64.deb

4.) After apt finishes, you should be able to run:
/opt/sdrangel/bin/sdrangel

5.) If you plan on running sdrangel a lot, you might do one of the following to make the command a little easier to use and save yourself some typing:

* Add /opt/sdrangel/bin to the PATH variable in your .profile file (takes effect when you restart bash).

* Create a little script in your home directory to call sdrangel (I do this because I run both the pre-packaged version as well as a custom build).

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 7:26 PM <drtac7.strider@...> wrote:

Hello.

Essentially I just need a simple, set-by-step instructional for installing SDRAngel on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Just list what commands to type and in what order.

Thank you.

James Dallas

Sorry, there is a step I missed between 2 and 3.

Before running apt, be sure to change directory to wherever you saved the DEB file.

So:

The simplest way to use sdrangel on Linux is to use the prebuilt packages.

The way I would do this (note, I am using 18.04):

1.) Point your web browser at: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/releases

2.) Download the DEB file for the most recent release for your distribution.
In the case of Ubuntu 16.04: sdrangel_4.4.3-1_amd64_xenial.deb
In the case of 18.04, it would be: sdrangel_4.4.3-1_amd64.deb

2.5)  #will vary depending on where you saved the file
cd ~/Downloads

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 11:01 PM James Dallas <jim.dallas@...> wrote:
[...]

Orrin Winton

I think you need Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit to install and run Angel.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 9:03 PM James Dallas <jim.dallas@...> wrote:
[...]

Edouard Griffiths

There are versions for 16.04 (xenial), 18.04 (bionic) and 18.10 (cosmic) as well as Debian stretch. Although the system on which SDRangel is actively developed is 18.04.