Topics

Guide for remote operation running sdrangel on both sides with plutosdr

Rainer Fritz

Hi All !

I am still struggeling with the setup of a remote operation of sdrangel. I have a raspberry pi with the pisdr image running where sdrangel is preinstalled. When I locally connect the plutosdr to the raspberry it is recognized and I can operate it. Now I want to setup sdrangel (with gui) on the raspberry in that way, that I can use it as remote headend and having sdrangel running on a host connecting over the internet. Currently I am using mumble for audio transport. If I use VNC and mumble together I can make somehow a remote setup, but I want to use sdrangel on both sides natively without VNC.
I would much appreciate if you could provide me with a setup. Tried the remote sink etc. but without luck. Definitely missing something. The goal would be to use it as a remote TX for QO-100 uplink. So raspberry pi remotely connected to the plutosdr with sdrangel and running sdrangel at home...
Thanks for any help in advance.
Best regards and 73
Rainer, OE1KFR

firstly there is a server variant for SDRangel that would work better than the version with GUI on a small device like the Raspberry Pi. Note that you need an arm64 version i.e. 3B+ or 4. There are Docker images for arm64 on docker hub: https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/f4exb06/sdrangelsrv

Since it is headless you need something to control it and this is provided by this web interface that lags a bit from the current SDRangel features but will do for essential controls: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangelcli There is also a Docker image for this one: https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/f4exb06/sdrangelcli

The REST API can be used directly from Python for example in order to control the headless instance. In particular the config.py script here https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/tree/master/scriptsapi helps with setting up the SDRangel instance.

The Docker ecosystem can be found here: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel-docker You will find a compose subdirectory with material to start Docker compose stack with all components.

Now fore remote streaming of I/Q samples this has been more exercised in the receiving side but the transmission side also exists. Basically this is how this is organized:

  • Rx path: Input device -> Remote sink -> network -> Remote input -> Channel(s) - thus from the Pi to the laptop/desktop
  • Tx path: Channel(s) -> Remote output -> network -> Remote source -> Output device - thus from the  laptop/desktop to the Pi
On the Rx side there is also the possibility to send the audio mix via UDP/RTP: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/blob/master/sdrgui/audio.md#113-copy-audio-to-udp-stream-toggle This can also be controlled with the web client. Similarly it would be interesting (particularly in your case) to have the reverse path where the audio input can be picked up from UDP/RTP. For the moment this does not exist.

This is a very brief summary and you will have to discover things behind these links. I hope this makes it a little bit more clear.

Brgds,
Edouard.

Rainer Fritz

Thanks a lot Edouard!
Much appreciated your help! That points me for now in the right direction and will discover the links and guide!
BR
Rainer

Peter Ide-Kostic

I use my Plutosdr with sdrangel over Ethernet and this works quite well, no need for rawsbery PI and headless server as intermediary  the middle. The networked plutosdr simply appears in device list provided the Linux  host file is updated adequately. I have not tested this setup over Internet only locally over Ethernet.