Topics

Change in binary distributions from Github

following recent issues with people who do not understand what "Open Source" really means. I have removed all binaries from the releases section on Github. From this day on no more binaries will be released this way and no form of support will be given from me outside issues properly identified in my development environment which is at present Linux Ubuntu 18.04.

Brgds, Edouard.

James Dallas

I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Are we still going to be able to run sdrangel in docker containers though?

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 2:52 PM Edouard Griffiths <f4exb06@...> wrote:
Hello,

following recent issues with people that do not understand what "Open Source" really means. I have removed all binaries from the releases section on Github. From this day on no more binaries will be released this way and no form of support will be given from me outside issues properly identified in my development environment which is at present Linux Ubuntu 18.04.

Brgds, Edouard.

mcbillsan@...

I don't blame you -- you were certainly getting a lot of pushy questions.
Please keep up the great work Edouard. I have Sdrangel running with my Lime Mini (on Ubuntu 18.04) and it is truly impressive. You probably don't hear a lot of "hey this works and it is really great" comments, but such is the case.
Cheers,
Bill
WH7U

Ismo Väänänen OH2FTG

An understandable decision. And at least for me the documentation and instructions on github for compiling and installing sdrangel ware good and above average for most sdr radio projects.
I got it installed on my Ubuntu 18.04 (the distro many sdr folks seem to use) laptop without any issues and it worked perfectly  with my rtl dongles and full size LimeSDR.

Sdrangel has so far been the best graphical linux sdr software I have used. Great work.

many thanks for your support and understanding. Regarding Docker nothing changes really the sdrangel-docker project is still alive and building a Docker image on your machine is a good and recommended way to get things working without dependency hassles or CPU flavor issues. You still need a good internet connection to clone some big repositories like sdrangel btw. I will still push armv8 (i.e arm64) images of the server flavor to Docker Hub because armv8 is a single architecture unlike the Intel CPU family with its various vector optimizations so for Intel an image built on my machine may break on others this should not be the case for armv8 built on RPi4.

Brgds, Edouard.

David J Taylor

Hello,

following recent issues with people that do not understand what "Open Source" really means. I have removed all binaries from the releases section on Github. From this day on no more binaries will be released this way and no form of support will be given from me outside issues properly identified in my development environment which is at present Linux Ubuntu 18.04.

Brgds, Edouard.
====================================

Edouard,

I have used and promoted your excellent software for some time, and the great majority of users are using the Windows version. It's really disappointing that you no longer offer a Windows version, and especially disappointing that you have removed binary versions which are working perfectly well for many users out there. I know we have talked about this in the past, and I understood that the Windows binary was a direct result of the compilation process you have, so it cost no extra effort to produce it.

I'm sure that support for Windows binary can be provided by other members of the group (there are 447 when I checked) so you need not be involved other than providing the binary. I would be quite willing to compile a binary from the source if it's possible using MS Visual Studio, but I recall that someone who tried this failed as many third-party libraries were involved, some of which required licences to be signed even for the download.

Please reconsider this decision, and at least restore the Windows binaries to your site for those who wish to explore signals with the unique SDRangel. There are plenty of us around to help!

Thanks,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Boudewijn (Bob) Tenty

No big deal, even better to compile it locally.

Bob / Boudewijn

On 2020-02-21 15:51, Edouard Griffiths wrote:
Hello,

following recent issues with people that do not understand what "Open Source" really means. I have removed all binaries from the releases section on Github. From this day on no more binaries will be released this way and no form of support will be given from me outside issues properly identified in my development environment which is at present Linux Ubuntu 18.04.

Brgds, Edouard.--
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change

Max Planck

Edouard Griffiths

Hi David,

I feel sorry for loyal Windows users especially you who is at the origin of this very discussion group. However a rule has to be a rule and the same rule for everybody. So on Github there will the source code and only the source code plus related documentation. The Github guys are nice enough to tolerate binaries in the assets section of the releases but if this was my decision I would simply ban it. If I reconsider building binaries this will be outside Github for sure probably using some CI infrastructure. I certainly want to dissociate the Github repository for the source and somewhere else yet to be found for the artifacts.

Brgds, Edouard.

David J Taylor

Hi David,

I feel sorry for loyal Windows users especially you who is at the origin of this very discussion group. However a rule has to be a rule and the same rule for everybody. So on Github there will the source code and only the source code plus related documentation. The Github guys are nice enough to tolerate binaries in the assets section of the releases but if this was my decision I would simply ban it. If I reconsider building binaries this will be outside Github for sure probably using some CI infrastructure. I certainly want to dissociate the Github repository for the source and somewhere else yet to be found for the artifacts.

Brgds, Edouard.
====================================

Edouard,

Hosting files for distribution should not be an issue. I would be happy to spare a few hundred megabytes for hosting, say, the current Windows version and one back, and I have unlimited download bandwidth.

Having the group as the contact point means that you could redirect any direct personal e-mails concerning the "unsupported" versions here, for peer-to-peer support. I have to do this for some of my software where I simply don't know the answer, and I think that people appreciate that I am a "team of one person". The discussions might even trigger some useful input for the Linux version!

I am happy to help where I can.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

f4inx

Hi Edouard,

Are you against binaries, or are you against providing them on GitHub ? If you are just against providing them on GitHub, maybe we should just discuss another place to put them. If you don't have time anymore to make them, which I would perfectly understand, maybe we can found an other volunteer to make them. If you are against binaries at all, I don't know.

Best regards,
Hadrien

Le 22/02/2020 à 12:46, David J Taylor via Groups.Io a écrit :
Hi David,

I feel sorry for loyal Windows users especially you who is at the origin of this very discussion group. However a rule has to be a rule and the same rule for everybody. So on Github there will the source code and only the source code plus related documentation. The Github guys are nice enough to tolerate binaries in the assets section of the releases but if this was my decision I would simply ban it. If I reconsider building binaries this will be outside Github for sure probably using some CI infrastructure. I certainly want to dissociate the Github repository for the source and somewhere else yet to be found for the artifacts.

Brgds, Edouard.

Siegfried Jackstien

if there would be some users willing to help (i never compiled any windows software) ... that woud be nice

be it a dropbox link or somewhere else does not matter ... but a place where a "dummie user" like me can download precompiled version would be nice ...

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 22.02.2020 um 13:28 schrieb thadrien:

[...]

I have not enough time for a professional-like binary building system. But if I continue my project to make some changes to the code, I will distribute my own binaries.

Le 22/02/2020 à 14:39, Siegfried Jackstien a écrit :
if there would be some users willing to help (i never compiled any windows software) ... that woud be nice

be it a dropbox link or somewhere else does not matter ... but a place where a "dummie user" like me can download precompiled version would be nice ...

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 22.02.2020 um 13:28 schrieb thadrien:

Joe Puma

I would be happy to create binaries and put them on a Dropbox or somewhere else. I would just need help setting up my windows pc so I can compile. SDRangel is really looking like a contender out here for SDR hosts, I don’t know what issues you were having with Github or whatever but don’t slight the users of your great software to satisfy others who only care to give you a hard time. Keep up the great work.

Joe
KD2NFC

Edouard Griffiths

Hi Hadrien,

to be more precise I am getting more and more reluctant in releasing binaries because with binaries come commercial grade demands. When you compile from source you realize that the value of an Open Source project moreover not backed up by a commercial organization is actually the source code and you get the focus on the source code and not so much on the so many particular system intricacies that can make a binary break.

Anyway at a bare minimum I would like to stop building binaries on my own private infrastructure (for Windows this is simply a laptop) and move it to a more "standard" infrastructure. In the very first returns of my research on the net I came across this link and the first paragraph summarizes exactly my state of mind: https://dev.to/itnext/the-ultimate-free-ci-cd-for-your-open-source-projects-3bkd

Not sure it is going to be Azure based but you get the idea...

Brgds, Edouad.

f4inx

Hi Edouard,

Many thanks for your reply. Would you mind if somebody else release some binaries ?

Best regards,
Hadrien

Le sam. 22 févr. 2020 à 19:46, Edouard Griffiths <f4exb06@...> a écrit :
[...]

thanks for your support. Yes this can be a good interim solution. I have no time either at this moment to deal with putting in place a proper CI system however I certainly keep it on the back of my mind and this will come eventually.

Please stick to the master (default) branch. I had already taken the decision to keep the tip of development (version 5) out of reach of public builds and casual usage. This has not been proven entirely successful but this is the idea.

Brgds, Edouard.

f4inx

Hi Edouard,

Glad to read this. I think we can make a good collaboration.

First, I am ready to help Joe Puma to set up a build system for the main branch.

On my personnal side, my plans are to publish first my personnal build with my changes and, if I find time, the build of the main version.

Best regards,
Hadrien

Le sam. 22 févr. 2020 à 20:45, Edouard Griffiths <f4exb06@...> a écrit :
Hi Hadrien,

thanks for your support. Yes this can be a good interim solution. I have no time either at this moment to deal with putting in place a proper CI system however I certainly keep it on the back of my mind and this will come eventually.

Please stick to the master (default) branch. I had already taken the decision to keep the tip of development (version 5) out of reach of public builds and casual usage. This has not been proven entirely successful but this is the idea.

Brgds, Edouard.

Roeland Jansen, PA3MET

if you're going to create a buildsystem I would definitely believe that a jenkins instance with slaves for the specific targets would be a nice one; If that works well a new push could lead to a new bould without any interaction at all.

Regarding the grade -- I found your help to be very good Edouard. All kudo's for you for that.

I am exploring Github actions and have put it in place for sdrangelcli which is a plain NodeJS / Angular application. This makes it much easier to manage than sdrangel. However Github actions look interesting. See it here: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangelcli/actions

There is also a full HelloWorld (thus very simple!) example here: https://github.com/cristianadam/HelloWorld

Brgds, Edouard.

Joe Puma

Hi,

I made some progress getting the dependencies installed in my computer.  I trying following notes but got some errors trying to build. NPM start didn’t work, other dependencies missing.  I’ll post screen shot of errors later.

Joe
KD2NFC

Hello,