Topics

OSX : After iMovie update Strangel crash on start #osx

Gaston LU5AGQ

Hi Z, yes it's Mojave, maybe that could be the problem since I've tried running only SDRangel and none any other app open.

Can be useful if I compile it on my envionment? If yes, you have to guide me on that. I have xcode and qt installed.

Best

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 6:24 PM Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:
Gaston, yepp it's the same HW.
Then we can rule out HW, it's just software as usual :)
Could be that your MacOS/Apps spawns more background processes which uses resources....
or if I remember correctly, you are using Mojave, maybe this is the case :)
I am still on Sierra, not even High Sierra. I thought it's was a good decision.
A bit backward to be, sometimes can produce good results....
With SDRangel we are using latest Qt 5.12.x, so there is not to expect that on framework level all glyches are all covered or even discovered yet.
I still have some projects where Qt 4.6 is totally stable and performant for almost a decade with no recompilation.

@Fabio, thanks for noticing that, maybe Qt cannot resolve working directory when run from Dock.
As docs says it should be like you are running from console and working dir is provided and accessible.
I would rather have it default to be: ~/Documents or ~/Desktop.
We can setup this prior to main QApp exec and it should work.... I think we could do it OS specific.

Cheerz, Z

Fabio IZ0IBA 2220156

Hi Z, i read the manifest definition and the repo command, but i am not sure that i understand well what to do !!
I'm glad to help (up to my tech limits of course) you to maintain the osx build deps.
Teach me, i'll follow you
:-) Fabio IZ0IBA

Žiga S.

[...]

Ok I agree with you that for building a general release version is better to endorse the latest official ... but i was experimenting so i build everything with the preview version.

BTW i noticed an other interesting thing about the iq recording process.  If i open a terminal and manually start SDRAngel from the
/Application/SDRangel.app/Contents/MacOS and hit the record button i find later in the same directory the recorded file.
If I instead start the application clicking the SDRAngel icon in the Applications window and hit the record button i do not find the file anywhere in the disk later on.
There is no way in the graphic interface to specify the file directory or at least i did not find any place to configure it.  May be SDRAngel started this way does not have write permissions
in its execution directory. However it would be useful to specify the directory where to save recordings.
Brgds, Fabio.

Edouard Griffiths

You will not find any 0.8.0 tag and as the changelog says it is a preview. I try to stick to tagged revisions as much as possible and 0.7.1 is the latest.
Brgds, Edouard.

Gaston LU5AGQ

Hi Z, I bet mine is the same model:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2,5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB

So I'm not sure why this is happening to me. Maybe something with the GPU?

I'm opening to make any test you or anyone wants.

Thanks for your help.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 10:58 AM Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:
Hey Gaston,

now I understand what you are trying to show...
I actually don't experience the same effects like you with mouse over.

Same effect I can reproduce, when I drag slowly Broadcast FM Demod panel,
which on my machine produces more processing which, results in some insufficient bandwidth or clock speed,
while handling the drag and GUI rendering + device sampling.

I would relate this problem to an actual performance of the machine:
Mine is: Core i7 2.5GHz - L3-6MB(I7-4870HQ), 16GB DDR3L .... system bus runs at: 5GT/s
My guess is that your HW performs lower bandwidths in case of Qt/GL event/signals handling,
threfore your HW properties should have been lower than mine, and this effect is already seen with mouse action.

What do you say?

Cheerz, Z

Žiga S.

Hey Gaston,

now I understand what you are trying to show...
I actually don't experience the same effects like you with mouse over.

Same effect I can reproduce, when I drag slowly Broadcast FM Demod panel,
which on my machine produces more processing which, results in some insufficient bandwidth or clock speed,
while handling the drag and GUI rendering + device sampling.

I would relate this problem to an actual performance of the machine:
Mine is: Core i7 2.5GHz - L3-6MB(I7-4870HQ), 16GB DDR3L .... system bus runs at: 5GT/s
My guess is that your HW performs lower bandwidths in case of Qt/GL event/signals handling,
threfore your HW properties should have been lower than mine, and this effect is already seen with mouse action.

What do you say?

Cheerz, Z

Gaston LU5AGQ

@Edouard, unfortunately your suggestions didn't cause any improvement on SDRangel audio performance on my mac.

The audio keeps "stuttering" everytime I hover the mouse over the window.

Here's another video: https://youtu.be/KGHejudl0l0

I found that the audio stream is the only problem, and seems not to be dropping packets but delaying it. Let's supponse that an audio sequence (a song or talent word) is a string of numbers from 0 to 9 when I hover the mouse over the window, you will listen: 0123 (mouse movement) 456 (mouse movement) 789 instead of the normal sequence where has to be 0123456789. That's why when I hit STOP in SDRangel audio keeps playing for a while, empting the buffer, I asume.

@Ziga S. let me know how I can help. I don't know anything about code but I have Xcode and QTcreator installed.

73

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 8:53 PM Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:
Hello Fabio,

Nice to point out the possible versions updates in deps...
I really like your "contrary" support in reviewing & testing... make me decide faster, thank you. :)

My thinking right now, to start over my mojave env, with manifest for dependant repos/dirs....
I think it would be nice and easy to check and modify, what is building in next build iterration.
Then I prepare a manifest repository for repo command and it's a one standard way, no docs needed :)

There ya go, a commit in this repository could trigger a build process in mojave-vm...

No problem what so ever, Fabio are you in for maintaining with me, maybe Gaston?
Eduardo can review it to, for version mismatches? Sounds like a plan, to me...

Otherwise, if anybody have better idea, please let me know.

@Fabio: while you can experiment with your local manifest.

Will queue my time for establishing a default manifest.

Cheerz, Z

Žiga S.

[...]

Hi Edouard, i've got the source in the git repo .... in the Changelog is notified the 0.8.0 release(pending)
https://github.com/pothosware/SoapySDR/blob/master/Changelog.txt

Release 0.8.0 (pending)
  ==========================

  Build:
  - Update to CMake 3.0 style and project config generation
  - Increase the CMake build requirement to version 3.1.0

  API:
  - Constants for boolean setting strings SOAPY_SDR_TRUE/FALSE
  - Templated read/writeSetting()/readSensor() for SoapySDR::Device
  - Added Templated StringToSetting() and SettingToString() helpers
  - Python bindings duck typing for read/writeSetting()/readSensor()
  - Changed SoapySDRDevice_setupStream() to return the stream pointer
  - Backwards compatibility macro maintains compilation for the old API

Edouard Griffiths

For the "stuttering" problem:
1. reduce the baseband sample rate by decimating by say 8 to get down to 2600/8 = 325 kS/s. You don't need more for broadcast FM and that will make things easier for the rest of the processing chain
2. move away the center of reception from Zero IF by selecting "Inf" or "Sup" in the "Fc pos" combo. HackRF has a prominent DC spike and eliminating it with the DC cancellation button is not an option because it creates a big notch at the center and FM broadcast does not like it.

I don  know where this 0.8 comes from, the top tag in the git repo of SoapySDR is 0.7.1.

Brgds, Edouard.

Fabio IZ0IBA 2220156

Hi Z i tested the new compiled version. It works for me. LimeSDRmini is seen from Limesdrinput but not by the SoapySDR driver. Probably because i use version 0.8 of the soapy driver while the
code refer to 0.7.

In my build i use libiio version 0.17 so i revert to 0.14 to test the dmg.
73, Fabio IZ0IBA

Gaston LU5AGQ

Hi Z et all.

I've just downloaded the latest version and works fine with my HackRF except for the "old" stuttering problem.

I've made a video to show the app behavior when hovering the mouse over the window: https://youtu.be/t5Bm_hCtoiQ

Maybe Edouard can point us on where is the problem.

Many thanks to all.

73

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 9:27 AM Žiga S. <ziga.svetina@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have put-up fresh build - v4.5.1, to keep up with latest updates & fixes from master branch.

SDRangel.dmg was built using fresh Qt version 5.12.2 framework.

HackRF One, works for me :)
How about others?

Cheerz, Z

Žiga S.

Hi everyone,

I have put-up fresh build - v4.5.1, to keep up with latest updates & fixes from master branch.

SDRangel.dmg was built using fresh Qt version 5.12.2 framework.

HackRF One, works for me :)
How about others?

Cheerz, Z

Žiga S.

Hi Edouard,

With previous statement I meant two parts:
- One is to solve the bug, as you already pushed fix in v4.5.1
- Second one is to provide Mojave builds (in-progress)

For a quick test, I can recompile fresh DMG with your bugfix.

Thanks for the fix, I guess that will solve this issue, but to be on the save side with Apple,
we need to comply with latest OSX frameworks as we are not building on Mojave yet.

Just for some my experience, a lot of my colleagues(who are using OSX),
they all nagging about Mojave ... I guess I will stay on Sierra on my laptop :)

Cheerz, z

considering this:
0   libsdrgui.1.0.0.dylib         0x000000010e650682 GLScopeGUI::deserialize(QByteArray const&) + 2370

Isn't it the issue that has been reported here already and the subject of this ticket? https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/issues/314 This is a software bug having nothing to do with Apple (same happens on Linux with appropriate scenario).

Brgds, Edouard.

Žiga S.

I think we need to conform to some Security Fix published by apple, to get over this.

Fabio IZ0IBA 2220156

Edited

Hi all, yesterday the AppStore notified that a security update of iMovie was available to download.
So i downloaded and updated iMovie.  This morning i found that Sdrangel won't start.
Executing the program in debug mode from terminal it lead to have

2019-03-22 21:51:31.322 (D) ScopeVis::addTrace

2019-03-22 21:51:31.323 (D) GLScopeGUI::deserialize: nbTriggersSaved: 4 nbTriggers: 1

2019-03-22 21:51:31.323 (D) ScopeVis::handleMessage: MsgScopeVisNGChangeTrigger:  0

Segmentation fault: 11

Evidences show me that program crashed while attempting to build the main gui window.

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       EXC_I386_GPFLT
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [68638]

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   libsdrgui.1.0.0.dylib         0x000000010e650682 GLScopeGUI::deserialize(QByteArray const&) + 2370
1   libchanalyzer.dylib           0x0000000114771a5f ChannelAnalyzerSettings::deserialize(QByteArray const&) + 351
2   libchanalyzer.dylib           0x000000011476b5fa non-virtual thunk to ChannelAnalyzerGUI::deserialize(QByteArray const&) + 26
3   libsdrgui.1.0.0.dylib         0x000000010e61f4a1 DeviceUISet::loadRxChannelSettings(Preset const*, PluginAPI*) + 1569
4   libsdrgui.1.0.0.dylib         0x000000010e611a90 MainWindow::loadPresetSettings(Preset const*, int) + 336
5   libsdrgui.1.0.0.dylib         0x000000010e60c391 MainWindow::MainWindow(qtwebapp::LoggerWithFile*, MainParser const&, QWidget*) + 2225
6   org.f4exb.SDRangel           0x000000010e5fe580 main + 2848
7   libdyld.dylib                 0x00007fff63955ed9 start + 1

I suspected something related to graphics OpenGL permissions and so i attempt to start with higher privileges

sudo ,/SDRangel  resulted in normal start and nice working.   Before the iMovie update i was starting the application without sudo command, now it is impossible.
I tried to rebuild everything and also upgrade the QT framework to 5.12.2.  No luck ... everything is back to normal only when i start application with "sudo" command.
Certainly i can live with that ... but i would like to solve the issue, may be something has to be changed in deploy.sh script perhaps ??

Tnx for any help or hints.

P.S. it will be nice is someone test the iMovie update just to see if this affect only my system or is a common problem. Tnx.