Topics

Why not setup a proper CI for Windows?

Filipe Laíns (FFY00) <filipe.lains@...>

Hey,

I am writing regarding the Windows builds. This issue has been already resolved but I still think I should suggest a long-term solution. I think we should take advantage of AppVeyor to build and test the Windows packages. I don't know for sure if your decision to discontinue Windows in v4.0.0 was motivated by software incompatibilities/complications or by you being unable and/or unmotivated to release Windows packages, but I think it's the lastest. In that case, having a proper CI setup would be really helpful as you could see if any changes break the Windows build and have it (the CI) automatically build and release the Windows binaries. If you need help setting it up, I would be happy lay a hand. Apart from this, I think it would give some peace to the Windows users.

Thanks, Filipe Laíns

PS.: I started drafting this message but a few minutes ago but I lost it, I think I might have accidentally sent it, if that's the case, please just ignore it.

this would mean paying for a cloud hosted solution so the answer is no.
Best regards, Edouard.

Filipe Laíns (FFY00) <filipe.lains@...>

Hey Edouard,

What do you mean? AppVeyor is free, and it can export the build artifacts to Github releases, which is also free. I don't follow.

Thanks, Filipe Laíns

Edouard Griffiths

Didn't know about AppVeyor indeed it looks free for Open Source projects. I am afraid however that this is going to be a nightmare to set up with Qt and all the dependencies. I have better things to do so I am not into this sorry.
Best regards, Edouard.

Filipe Laíns (FFY00) <filipe.lains@...>

Edited

Okay, no problem. I still think this would be good in the long run. When I have time, I will try to set it up and if I succeed I'll open a Pull Request.

Thanks, Filipe Laíns