Re: Does SDRAngel employ a PTT feature, and how does it handle USB relays...?

Michael Durkin

i think that just an output of frequency and Tx/Rx status is the
minimum to a serial device

On 3/13/19, James Dallas <jim.dallas@...> wrote:
To Marty's point, I was thinking about making a small utility to listen for
reverse API requests and then use that to trigger USB relays. The problem
is that in shopping today I noticed there are at least three different
kinds of relays on Amazon (FTDI/CH based USB-to-serial devices as well as
devices using the HID API). Not to mention that a more creative person
might, say, bang together an arduino or raspberry pi with a relay hat.

The more I think about the logistics -- and I was one of the people
originally begging him on this issue! -- the more I realize that Edouard's
position is the most sane one. Not because the work would be hard per se
(I'm not a programmer) but because supporting every hardware combination
imaginable would very quickly get to be tedious and waste time he might
better spend supporting the core of sdrangel.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:27 PM Edouard Griffiths <f4exb06@...>
wrote:

Hello Marty,

I think this has been discussed already a long time ago and eventually I
came up with the idea of a REST API. "It would greatly simplify this
whole
issue" may be for you but not for me (the author) nor any contributor to
the code. If you have a specific hardware then it is up to you to deal
with
it and integrate it with SDRangel in a bigger bundle. Making it part of
the
mainstream code would import bloats of code unrelated to the prime
purpose
of SDRangel and make it even harder to read and harder to maintain than
it
is today. So unless someone forks out the project this is not going to
happen.